You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music on Mac app keeps crashing for me

I am basically unable to use my music application on my macbook pro, because every time I try to play a song, it will play about 30-55 seconds of the song and then the entire app will crash. The apple music app works on my phone, but when I use it on the mac, it consistently crashes. I have the most updated version of the app and of my MacOS, I have restarted the app and my laptop, shut off my laptop and turned it back on again, but still nothing.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 8:34 AM

3 replies

Jul 21, 2020 8:02 AM in response to Andrewf122

Thanks for replying, Andrewf122, and that additional info, it really helps! Since you didn't have any issues with the Music app in a different user account on your Mac, use safe mode to start up your Mac as it does the following things:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Log in to your user account and test the issue while in safe mode, but be aware that speakers may not be enabled in safe mode, but you should be able to test the Music app. Then restart and test your issue in your user account again.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode

If you still have this issue in safe mode, you can manually migrate your personal data to a new user with the steps in this Apple resource:

OS X: Manually migrating data from another Mac

Have a great day and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

Jul 14, 2020 5:00 PM in response to Andrewf122

Hello Andrewf122,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are unable to play songs in the Music app on your MacBook Pro, as the app closes unexpectedly. First, try running First Aid on your hard drive with the built in Disk Utility tool, as this can correct simple issues like you're experiencing.

Disk Utility for Mac: Repair a disk using Disk Utility

You can figure out if unexpected behavior is related to a user file or setting by trying to reproduce the issue from another user account. This process includes creating a new user account, logging in to it, and testing for the issue.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Cheers!

Jul 20, 2020 3:46 PM in response to chris_g1

Thank you for your suggestions. I did the Repair a disk using Disk Utility, but was unable to fix my problem. I also tested the issue using another user account on my Mac and I found out that Music is working just fine on that account, so it is just my main user account that keeps experiencing this problem. I do not know what to try now.

Music on Mac app keeps crashing for me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.