Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple TV 4k

My Samsung TV turns on my old Apple TV when i wake up that HDMI port, but will not turn on my new apple tv 4K.

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 9:36 AM

You need to check your remotes manual to see if it can control the Apple TV. However you may want to use your Apple TV's remote to control your TV. Please refer to Apple TV - Control your TV or Receiver

Another option is to use a universal remote such as a Logitech Harmony remote. I've got several of these (4 Apple TVs in my house) and they work great.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2020 9:36 AM in response to gijo37

You need to check your remotes manual to see if it can control the Apple TV. However you may want to use your Apple TV's remote to control your TV. Please refer to Apple TV - Control your TV or Receiver

Another option is to use a universal remote such as a Logitech Harmony remote. I've got several of these (4 Apple TVs in my house) and they work great.

Jul 10, 2020 9:53 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Sorry let me be more specific. Using the smart home feature on the TV. I can turn on my external devices. From that menu. So the Tv’s talking to the Apple TV via hdmi. I actually unplugged my old Apple TV and plugged in the new A4K and it doesn’t work. The Apple 4K does turn on my tv. So the hdmi is talking to the TV. But not working the other way.

Jul 10, 2020 10:10 AM in response to rkaufmann87

THAT WASN'T HELPFUL. The TV wakes up my old apple TV ok and not the new one. I'm not using the ATV4K remote. I'm using the smart menu on the samsung TV and the TV remote to wake up the HDMI port the ATV is connected too. I understand what your saying about using other remotes. I want to be able to use the TVs remote to control everything. It worked with the older Apple TV but doesn't work with the new version.

Jul 10, 2020 10:18 AM in response to gijo37

If you are using the Samsung's remote you need to talk to Samsung for assistance. We can help on Apple products but not third party products. This is why I use a universal remote rather than relying on my Samsung's remote or the ATV's remote. I find I have much better control using my Harmony remote. My system has a receiver, 7.1. speakers system, the Apple TV, a rarely used Blue Ray DVD player and we also have a Direct TV box in the mix. Using a universal remote makes life much more simple.

Jul 10, 2020 10:35 AM in response to gijo37

An update with the CEC protocell on the new ATV but and older version of the ATV communicated with the TV just fine. I personally think its the TV that is having the problem. So really the both talk to each other but the only thing that stopped working is the ability to wake up the ATV from the TV.

Thanks for your input on this. I'll try the Samsung Communities next :-)

apple TV 4k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.