Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel panics on iMac Catalina 10.15.5 - restarted 3 times in 2 days for no apparent reason

Hi, I just wondered if anyone can help. My iMac has restarted 3 times in two days - twice within an hour - and the error log mentions a kernel panic. If I post the log file on here, could anyone please have a look as I don't really know where to start with this mass of information. Many thanks in advance.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 3:46 PM

Well your problem is likely caused by having the Kapersky AV app installed. The most secure and trusted antivirus, security and cleaning app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. By simply keeping Mac OS up-to-date and otherwise leaving it alone Mac OS will remain secure. Adding third party AV apps will make Mac OS slow, unstable and appear buggy much like what you are experiencing now.

Please locate the uninstall instructions for Kapersky and please uninstall ASAP.

Next, it appears you have some troublesome apps that at the very least should be updated. If the updates do not assist,they also should be uninstalled. They include:

com.getdropbox.dropbox.kext 1.11.1

com.Cycling74.driver.Soundflower 2

com.digidesign.iokit.DigiDal 19.12.0f4

com.Sonarworks.driver.Sonarworks 1.8.11

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2020 3:46 PM in response to Huss121

Well your problem is likely caused by having the Kapersky AV app installed. The most secure and trusted antivirus, security and cleaning app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. By simply keeping Mac OS up-to-date and otherwise leaving it alone Mac OS will remain secure. Adding third party AV apps will make Mac OS slow, unstable and appear buggy much like what you are experiencing now.

Please locate the uninstall instructions for Kapersky and please uninstall ASAP.

Next, it appears you have some troublesome apps that at the very least should be updated. If the updates do not assist,they also should be uninstalled. They include:

com.getdropbox.dropbox.kext 1.11.1

com.Cycling74.driver.Soundflower 2

com.digidesign.iokit.DigiDal 19.12.0f4

com.Sonarworks.driver.Sonarworks 1.8.11

Jul 10, 2020 12:54 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi, thank you for your quick response. The RAM is the original 32Gb which came with the iMac so I'm pretty sure that's not the cause. External drive is a possibility as I have several connected. Here is the Apple generated log file from the crash, I also have one from EtreCheck if you wanted to see that too. Thanks again, really appreciated. H.

Jul 10, 2020 11:24 AM in response to Huss121

Please post the last KP log and we will look for clues. Common causes are RAM, if you have upgraded the RAM on your iMac then remove the upgraded RAM and use only the original RAM to for testing. Other common causes are failing HD's. Finally another possiblity is software related. In order for us to possibly help at a bare minimum we need to see the last report in it's entirety.

Kernel panics on iMac Catalina 10.15.5 - restarted 3 times in 2 days for no apparent reason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.