Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud vs Time Machine

Deleted a file from Mac. Do not use time machine because I thought iCloud did document backups. Why can’t I find my document there?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 2:26 PM

Apple has iCloud Backup for iPhones and iPads but not for Macs.

You can sync data to iCloud, including Photos, Desktop and Documents and some other data but it is not a backup. Differences include the fact that not everything can be synced and that if you delete something, accidentally or intentionally, there is a limited time period to recover it.

If it has been 30 days or less, see the "How do I get back files that I deleted?" section of iCloud Drive FAQ - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2020 2:26 PM in response to sj0815

Apple has iCloud Backup for iPhones and iPads but not for Macs.

You can sync data to iCloud, including Photos, Desktop and Documents and some other data but it is not a backup. Differences include the fact that not everything can be synced and that if you delete something, accidentally or intentionally, there is a limited time period to recover it.

If it has been 30 days or less, see the "How do I get back files that I deleted?" section of iCloud Drive FAQ - Apple Support

iCloud vs Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.