Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Font Licensing 101

I've perused a few font discussions, but I want to start at square one, just to make sure I have my head screwed in straight.

First, I use a MacBook Pro loaded with Adobe software, so I have access to fonts through both Apple and Adobe. I always assumed that, in the absence of obvious disclaimers, that these fonts were free to use in commercial products (e.g. websites, EPUBs, graphics, etc.). However, I was recently warned that I'd better go back and read the fine print.

So, my first question is how do I know if a particular font is Adobe or Apple?

Second, what are the rules for using Apple fonts? Can they all be freely used commercially, or do I have to track down the person who minted each font and purchase a license?

Thank you.

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 8:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 12:03 AM

Software License Agreement for macOS Catalina states (https://www.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macOSCatalina.pdf):

E. Fonts. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you may use the fonts included with the Apple Software to display and print content while running the Apple Software; however, you may only embed fonts in content if that is permitted by the embedding restrictions accompanying the font in question. These embedding restrictions can be found in the Font Book/Preview/Show Font Info panel.

Apple fonts provided with the operating system are located in:

/Library/Fonts/

/System/Library/Fonts/

Adobe Creative Cloud fonts are stored separately, hidden in your user Library (something like Application Support/Adobe/CoreSync/plugins/livetype/...).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2020 12:03 AM in response to AppleOso

Software License Agreement for macOS Catalina states (https://www.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macOSCatalina.pdf):

E. Fonts. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you may use the fonts included with the Apple Software to display and print content while running the Apple Software; however, you may only embed fonts in content if that is permitted by the embedding restrictions accompanying the font in question. These embedding restrictions can be found in the Font Book/Preview/Show Font Info panel.

Apple fonts provided with the operating system are located in:

/Library/Fonts/

/System/Library/Fonts/

Adobe Creative Cloud fonts are stored separately, hidden in your user Library (something like Application Support/Adobe/CoreSync/plugins/livetype/...).

Font Licensing 101

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.