Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad Adware pop up in Safari

Hello there,

Can any one help me to remove an annoying pop up on my Wife's Ipad that comes up in Safari? It says, 'Do you want to download "get user id" ?', and gives an option to download via a button. Needless to say we have not clicked on it! It seems to only come up on the MSN news website for some reason but is persistent.

I have cleared all history and website data from Safari settings and powered down and re-booted the device, all to no avail. 'Fraudulent Website Warning' and 'Block Pop-ups' buttons are switched on.

Any help would be much appreciated.

iPad (6th gen) WiFi

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 2:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 6:34 AM

Hi LotusPilot,

Many thanks for your very speedy reply to my query.

I did as you suggested and installed 1Blocker for Safari and it solved the problem so no more annoying pop ups.

Thank you again.

RogerG

8 replies

Jul 11, 2020 2:18 AM in response to RogerG1812

An effective mitigation of unwanted content an pop-up banners can be effectively achieved by installing a good, trusted, Content and Ad-blocking product. One of the very best and most respected within the Apple App Store - designed for iPad, iPhone and Mac - is 1Blocker for Safari.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/1blocker-for-safari/id1365531024

1Blocker is highly configurable - and crucially does not rely upon an external proxy-service of dubious provenance. All processing takes place on your device - and contrary to expectations, Safari will run faster and more efficiently.

Unwanted content is not simply filtered after download (a technique used by basic/inferior products), but instead undesirable embedded content blocked form download. A further benefit on metered services, such as cellular connections where you data may be capped or chargeable, this not only improves speed but also saves you money.

When using an effective content blocker product, a high proportion of otherwise inescapable risk when using your Safari browser, or linking to external sources from email, is effectively mitigated before it even reaches you.

I hope you find this information and guidance to be helpful in resolving any issues that you may have.

Jul 11, 2020 1:31 PM in response to RogerG1812

I've been noticing the same pop-up the last couple of days on my Mac while using Safari and MSN. Every time I would click to open an article, I would get a download "get-user-id" in my downloads folder. It does not happen in another browser like Chrome or Edge. I checked the usual areas for unwanted files on my Mac, ran Malwarebytes scan and anti virus scan. There seemed to be no threats or unwanted applications so I clicked on the download. Only thing that opened was blank "Text Edit" window.

The other thing I noticed was that this started happening in MSN only since a banner has been appearing promoting the New Microsoft Edge browser for Mac. I think they are associated with each other. The "get-user-id" seems to be harmless although annoying. I'm sure it's a glitch and most likely will be resolved by Microsoft shortly. I would report it to them, but I have no idea how to get to support at Microsoft. Does anyone know how?

I hope this helps.

Ipad Adware pop up in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.