Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is my phone suddenly berserk? it will NOT ring if i happen to be browsing the News or shopping sites! No vibrating, no banner, nothing. im missing important calls! its only 5 wks old - can i return it

My XR is 5 wks old. If I am browsing online, it will not ring or vibrate to let me know a call is coming in. Ive checked all settings. Sometimes, it will ring once, then alert me to a new voicemail — but it never rang!

i was waiting for my Dr to call before going to the hospital — they called several times but my phone did Not ring or vibrate. Isn’t the #1 job of a phone to Ring when someone calls me?? Can’t a smart phone let me browse AND receive calls??

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 3:01 PM

Your issue may be related to the Attention Aware Feature of the iPhone. When the iPhone has your attention while you are looking at the screen (typing, reading websites or working with an app), then it automatically reduces the sound because it knows you are looking right at it so no need to issue loud notifications.

You can turn this feature off if you want by opening Settings Accessibility Face ID & Attention Attention Aware Feature set this to OFF. Once you turn it OFF then test again to see if the iPhone performs the way you like it.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2020 3:01 PM in response to Phedupxr

Your issue may be related to the Attention Aware Feature of the iPhone. When the iPhone has your attention while you are looking at the screen (typing, reading websites or working with an app), then it automatically reduces the sound because it knows you are looking right at it so no need to issue loud notifications.

You can turn this feature off if you want by opening Settings Accessibility Face ID & Attention Attention Aware Feature set this to OFF. Once you turn it OFF then test again to see if the iPhone performs the way you like it.

Axel F.

why is my phone suddenly berserk? it will NOT ring if i happen to be browsing the News or shopping sites! No vibrating, no banner, nothing. im missing important calls! its only 5 wks old - can i return it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.