Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Confused about Apple Music

I have LED light strips and I am trying to connect my music to them so when it plays the lights change but it keeps telling me that this is protected by DRM I’m very confused on why I can’t play the song even though I pay for Apple Music

iPhone XS Max, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 6:04 PM

Music from the Apple Music subscription is protected. You don’t own the music, only renting it while you pay for the subscription. Apple music tracks cannot be played outside of Apple apps that can validate the status of the subscription.

Your led app, will require unprotected music, like CDs you ripped into iTunes on a computer, or actually purchased tracks from the iTunes store.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2020 6:04 PM in response to Vic1203

Music from the Apple Music subscription is protected. You don’t own the music, only renting it while you pay for the subscription. Apple music tracks cannot be played outside of Apple apps that can validate the status of the subscription.

Your led app, will require unprotected music, like CDs you ripped into iTunes on a computer, or actually purchased tracks from the iTunes store.

Confused about Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.