Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to view files in the Finder sequentially one by one from the first to the last?

I'd like to view files in the Finder app using QuickLook sequentially one by one from the first to the last file. It should be simple, but I cannot figure out how to do it. When I had been using Windows Explorer I was able to do it just by pressing the right arrow key, but Finder, in this case, doesn't allow me to go to the next row of files. Also, Tab key doesn't work for me as it's able to switch files sequentially ONLY in alphabetical order. But I need to view and sort files by "Date Added".

Is it even possible to simply view files sequentially one by one in Finder (view as "Icons" and sorted by "Date Added")?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 1:02 PM

Thanks for suggestion, but it doesn't work, because Finder doesn't let me go to the next line of files to be able to select and view them sequentially in icons view. That is a problem for me.

Example: https://youtu.be/MzIcoUPkIk0

Pressing Tab key can do it, but it works ONLY for alphabetic sorting. I need to use "Date Added" order. So Tab key doesn't work for me.

I just want to be able to select and view files sequentially like this:

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2020 1:02 PM in response to Pete-Progressive-Graphics

Thanks for suggestion, but it doesn't work, because Finder doesn't let me go to the next line of files to be able to select and view them sequentially in icons view. That is a problem for me.

Example: https://youtu.be/MzIcoUPkIk0

Pressing Tab key can do it, but it works ONLY for alphabetic sorting. I need to use "Date Added" order. So Tab key doesn't work for me.

I just want to be able to select and view files sequentially like this:

Jul 13, 2020 12:06 PM in response to EugeneTarasov

Hello folks,

You can try either of these options in the view menu in finder

And as long as the "Sort by > None" is selected you can try this one:

"Quick Look" will switch up along with however you choose to view your folder. Using your arrow keys you can move in any direction at all. Using "Tab" or "Shift+Tab" you can go from one to the next or back.

Best of luck

Jul 11, 2020 10:36 PM in response to EugeneTarasov

If you select a set of files and QuickLook, it will arrow through in reverse order.

If you just select a file in the Finder window and QuickLook it, tab will go alphabetically through all the items in the window.

If you select a file and QuickLook, then use the arrows, the select moves with the arrows. It doesn't wrap around.

If you want to go sequentially, put the window in List view and arrow down.

Jul 12, 2020 10:17 PM in response to Barney-15E

If you select a set of files and QuickLook, it will arrow through in reverse order.

It is unconvinient and reversed order is confusing. Pressing left arrow to go to right is awkward.

If you just select a file in the Finder window and QuickLook it, tab will go alphabetically through all the items in the window.

I know it, but I don't need to select and view files alphabetically. I need to sort them by "Date Added" or "Date Created".

Is there any terminal command that is able to change default Tab key behavior from alphabetical to any other?

If you select a file and QuickLook, then use the arrows, the select moves with the arrows. It doesn't wrap around.

To be ableto work with files conveniently, I need to select and view files sequentially. Using more than one arrow key makes it unsequentially.

If you want to go sequentially, put the window in List view and arrow down.

I'd like to, but putting a window to a "list view" every time I need it and then putting it back to an "icons view" is a pain in the ***. I'm looking for a way to avoid it.

Watch this example: https://youtu.be/MzIcoUPkIk0

Launchpad, Stacks in Dock, Windows Explorer does allow you to select and view objects (files) sequentially one by one by pressing a single right arrow key, but Finder doesn't, because Finder, for some reason, doesn't let you go to the lower lines of files. That is a problem for me I'm trying to solve.

Jul 13, 2020 8:27 AM in response to EugeneTarasov

Windows Explorer does allow you to select and view objects (files) sequentially one by one by pressing a single right arrow key,

How do I do that on Windows 10? I'm currently working on some still frames of video clips and I'd like to preview them in order, but when I open one in the image viewer (no idea what its name is), when I use the left/right buttons to move to next image, it goes to some random image in the folder, not the next one.

Jul 13, 2020 1:25 PM in response to EugeneTarasov

EugeneTarasov wrote:

🤷‍♂️ It always worked preperly for me. You can see it here:
https://youtu.be/MzIcoUPkIk0?t=71
Insted of that image viewer try to install and use QuickLook for Windows:
https://github.com/QL-Win/QuickLook
And everything will be working the same way as on Mac, even better.

Not my computer. I can't install anything on it.

Jul 13, 2020 1:57 PM in response to EugeneTarasov

OK, I've finally been able to replicate your issue.

The only way I can suggest to do what you need, is to organize as you have, then widen the folder view itself and reduce the size of the icon previews, using the slider at the bottom of your folder, to create a single row of files. These two things in combination will work easily on a large monitor, such as a 27" iMac. Though from your video, it looks like you have a MacBook of some kind. It also looks like you have already eliminated the use of the sidebar on the left and preview on the right, which will offer more width.

I sympathize with your frustration.

Best of luck

How to view files in the Finder sequentially one by one from the first to the last?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.