Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting "open" or "attach" files in Finder dialog box the same as Finder when browsing?

Hey everyone,

Just had to format a Macbook. Running Catalina.

I had this set up before and remember it being a pain in the *** to set up last time and can't remember how to get it back.

In Finder, I use column view to sort by date modified with the most recent file at the top. I want that same view when I "upload" or "open" or "save" files as well. However, it is in alphabetical order instead, with no option to sort.

I know you can switch to "list" view but 9/10 times I'm adding an image file and columns is super handy to see a preview of an image + dimensions/details of the file, as I may need to look at multiple versions to attach the right size.

Here's how Finder looks when browsing:

Here's how an "open" or "attach" dialog looks (e.g. When clicking on "attach" on an email):

And these are the only "sort" options in that dialog box:

And here's how my Finder view options are set:

I don't really get why there's a difference between the two but hey, Apple likes to make things difficult sometimes.

Anyone know how I can get this working again?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 2:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 6:55 AM

Barney gave you the right answer. I don't know why it would not work for you.

Dismissing those who come here to help you as "arrogant" or worse is not the perfect attitude to get more help.

The image below is from the Open dialog in Preview, by the way:

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 18, 2020 7:32 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Ok, got it working, thank you for your reply. It didn't really highlight that it had changed and was super subtle (the text changes when you click the dropdown).

And sorry Barney for reporting it hadn't worked.

Whilst I take your point, it's also not the right way to go about things when replying with arrogance is it, which Barney clearly did?

So I don't really accept that an "expert" can speak to somebody in that way just because they know more than the individual asking the question, and I just have to accept that that's how it is.

I find these kinds of forums often like that where newbies are treated as "clueless" and experts talk down. And it often puts me off posting anything. This issue seems to be common for many when searching Google (the sorting options on OSX can be super confusing and unintuitive (e.g. Press option key instead of just displaying sorting and grouping at the same time)).

Be inviting, accepting, and reply with friendliness (as you did Luis), and we'd all be better off.

Thanks.

Sorting "open" or "attach" files in Finder dialog box the same as Finder when browsing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.