Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic not detecting clipping?

Just a quick question about clipping - I'm mastering my track in Logic, but for some reason it's not detecting clipping at all? Instead, the master volume only ever reads '-0.1dB', despite reaching into the red zone throughout. Even when I crank the volume up to full, it doesn't clip. Does anyone know the reason for this?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 3:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 8:32 AM

Listen, the easiest thing to do is take ALL the plugins off the stereo out.

then look at your overall volumes - add the loudness meter to see average vs peak. When you know that you’re -6db under 0db (say) add a limiter to see what they do use logics limiter first so you know what you’re dealing with. Read up about it, it’s an easy concept and plugin, when you can understand what gain does and how your music sounds as a result then move to a more complex mastering suite like Ttracks. Also when you’re adding gain in your limiter, turn your monitoring down so that you’re listening to the track at the same level even though one is limited. Otherwise you’ll always prefer the loudness, and miss how it’s squashing your transients.

start at the basics.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2020 8:32 AM in response to ChrisGrahamUK

Listen, the easiest thing to do is take ALL the plugins off the stereo out.

then look at your overall volumes - add the loudness meter to see average vs peak. When you know that you’re -6db under 0db (say) add a limiter to see what they do use logics limiter first so you know what you’re dealing with. Read up about it, it’s an easy concept and plugin, when you can understand what gain does and how your music sounds as a result then move to a more complex mastering suite like Ttracks. Also when you’re adding gain in your limiter, turn your monitoring down so that you’re listening to the track at the same level even though one is limited. Otherwise you’ll always prefer the loudness, and miss how it’s squashing your transients.

start at the basics.

Jul 12, 2020 6:43 AM in response to Iaamusic

Thanks for your reply - sorry, I did mean the stereo out, I did used a T Racks plugin on this, which perhaps includes some sort of limiter, but no matter how much I turn up the volume on T Racks, it stays at -0.1dB?

However, because of this, I feel like I have no way of knowing whether the track is clipping or not? When I bounced the track and put it into a new logic project, it also remained at -0.1dB, but when I dragged it into Loudness Penalty (a website I think you helpfully suggested yesterday), most platforms reduce the volume by about 6dB or so. Is there any way of knowing how to get it to a volume whereby it isn't over 0.dB, or is it really -0.1dB already? Thank you for your help!

Logic not detecting clipping?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.