Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging Magic Mouse 2

I bought a new iMac (Catalina, v. 10.15.5) a couple of weeks ago. A couple of days ago I got a "low battery" notice - battery was at 4%. Charged it 14 hours and it only came up to 21%. Then yesterday charged it another 14 hour and it charged for 13% to 17%. Something seems wrong? I think I am doing everything right - not that complicated. Leave mouse power on & plug in. However, I do shut down the computer. Does the computer have to be open for the charging to work?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 6:46 PM

You said ”However, I do shut down the computer.” Shut down means powered off. For charging, the Mac can be asleep (screen blank), but it must remain powered on, not just plugged into a power outlet.

If your computer is, indeed, only asleep, but powered on, and your mouse is not charged after four hours, then it's not normal. The mouse should be fully charged after that period of time.

To test if the issue is with the mouse battery, try charging it via another method, as suggested above. Also, if you’re plugging the mouse into a USB hub, rather than directly to the Mac, most USB hubs do not carry power, or only one of the ports is powered.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2020 6:46 PM in response to Don Gee

You said ”However, I do shut down the computer.” Shut down means powered off. For charging, the Mac can be asleep (screen blank), but it must remain powered on, not just plugged into a power outlet.

If your computer is, indeed, only asleep, but powered on, and your mouse is not charged after four hours, then it's not normal. The mouse should be fully charged after that period of time.

To test if the issue is with the mouse battery, try charging it via another method, as suggested above. Also, if you’re plugging the mouse into a USB hub, rather than directly to the Mac, most USB hubs do not carry power, or only one of the ports is powered.

Jul 12, 2020 12:31 PM in response to Don Gee

Yes, USB ports are powered only when the Mac is on.

FWIW. You can use any other wall charger you have around, from your iPhone, iPad, etc.

Also, nowadays, desktop macs are usually left powered around the clock. Mac OS performs many maintenance tasks when otherwise not in use, most often during the night.

Jul 12, 2020 3:56 PM in response to Rysz

I'm not clear with this response. I never completely turn off my Mac (power off). My question was ( and I am not probably) not using the correct terminology). Does the Mac have to be open (not shut down) to charge. I assumed it would charge when "shut down" but it charges very slow. Just recently the mouse was charged 2% after being pluggged in for 4 hours. Is that normal?

Charging Magic Mouse 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.