Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac keyboard and mouse need charging?

Just purchased new iMac 24" with wireless keyboard and mouse. Do the keyboard and mouse need charging? How often. How am I notified when they are low on charge. I have the cord to plug them in. Thank you for your help.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 1:17 PM

Yes, the devices need to be charged. You will receive a notification when power is low. This may help: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205160

10 replies

Aug 20, 2021 1:52 PM in response to bauschmann49

You can monitor the battery remaining on your Apple Bluetooth keyboard and Magic mouse 2 via the Bluetooth icon in your menu bar control center > Bluetooth > or by visiting System Preferences > Bluetooth and selecting Show Bluetooth in menu bar. When you click on the Bluetooth symbol there, a panel will appear showing the battery level of the Apple devices.

You can connect the Apple Bluetooth keyboard charging cable to the USB-A port on the Mac, and continue to use the keyboard while it charges. This is how I use my Magic (extended) keyboard with my M1 mini.

I haven't charged that keyboard in over two weeks, and the mouse was charged last night with heavy usage today. The Apple Magic mouse can recharge in less time than it takes to watch a movie.

Aug 20, 2021 1:34 PM in response to bauschmann49

Yes that's what the supplied braided USBc to lighting cable primarily is for.

The keyboard is very efficient may last several months between charges.

The mouse certainly several weeks.

If you go into system preferences /bluetooth tick "Show bluetooth in menu bar" and you will see the bluetooth symbol added to the top right hand side of the always visible menu bar.

You can now mouse over that to see ALL bluetooth connected items and their battery status . You can also connect and disconnect paired items from here without going back into system preferences.

Aug 20, 2021 1:46 PM in response to bauschmann49

Both the keyboard and mouse need periodic charging, how often depends on the amount of use they get. They both can be turned off to extend the battery life. As mentioned they are charged using the cable the came with the computer. Another method to check their charge is to show the Bluetooth symbol in the upper right menu of your screen. If it is not shown now, then go to System Preferencs - Bluetooth and look for the check mark box to make it visible. Once the symbol is visible you can always click it and then you will see how much of a charge is left.

iMac keyboard and mouse need charging?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.