Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete files from my computer if on icloud

If I’ve uploaded all of my documents and files from my MacBook Air, can I delete them from the computer to save storage? Or will anything deleted on the computer itself also be deleted from iCloud?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 3:10 PM

If you delete from the computer they will also delete from iCloud. You can save space on the MacBook Air via the Optimize Storage option. See the following from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud. Turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again. I

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2020 3:10 PM in response to Natalie_Gonsalves

If you delete from the computer they will also delete from iCloud. You can save space on the MacBook Air via the Optimize Storage option. See the following from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud. Turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again. I

Can I delete files from my computer if on icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.