Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it time to get a new MacBook AIR?

I got my MacAir since 2011 and lately the battery is noticeably running low within 4 hours. I have worked around the broken trackpad for about two years. With the battery problem, I am seriously contemplating if it is time to get a new MacBook Air. If you were me, will you already go ahead purchase one?

I can see myself overwhelmed and anxious by how and where to buy a right one and how to transfer all my works from this old Air to the new Air. Just so worrisome.....

I don't have a geek friend or anyone who can advise me. Please, pleeeease help and give me some advices. ~wen

MacBook Air 11″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 10:37 PM

Apple has been using Intel CPU's in their Mac's since 2005/2006. But now they've decided to kick Intel out and use their own ARM based CPU's in the Mac's. Transition should be complete within 2 years. As far as I understand it, the ARM CPU's are the same ones, or very similar ones, that Apple uses in the iPads and iPhones.

ARM and Intel CPU's are standard not compatible though. So to get programs to run on ARM that were designed to run on Intel based CPU's need to be emulated. Apple mentioned Rosetta 2 should handle that. Rosetta 1 was used back in the day when Apple moved from PowerPC Mac's to Intel. And that allowed PowerPC Mac software to run on my first iMac, which was the first one with an Intel CPU.

Even though Apple is moving away from Intel. Intel Mac's will be supported for years to come. So you can buy a new Air, and expect support for it for a long time :)

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2020 10:37 PM in response to wen-wen888

Apple has been using Intel CPU's in their Mac's since 2005/2006. But now they've decided to kick Intel out and use their own ARM based CPU's in the Mac's. Transition should be complete within 2 years. As far as I understand it, the ARM CPU's are the same ones, or very similar ones, that Apple uses in the iPads and iPhones.

ARM and Intel CPU's are standard not compatible though. So to get programs to run on ARM that were designed to run on Intel based CPU's need to be emulated. Apple mentioned Rosetta 2 should handle that. Rosetta 1 was used back in the day when Apple moved from PowerPC Mac's to Intel. And that allowed PowerPC Mac software to run on my first iMac, which was the first one with an Intel CPU.

Even though Apple is moving away from Intel. Intel Mac's will be supported for years to come. So you can buy a new Air, and expect support for it for a long time :)

Jul 12, 2020 5:04 PM in response to wen-wen888

I would recommend purchasing a new MacBook Air now as the most recent one has fixed a lot of the issues the previous generations have seen (better specs, fixed keyboard ect). However, if you can wait another two(ish) years then there may be a new MacBook Air that runs on an ARM processor. (If you need one now then I would recommend purchasing one now anyway.)

If you're worried about transferring the data across then you should read this support article (How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support) and follow the instructions.

I hope this helps. Feel free to reply to this message if you run into any issues.

-Person

Jul 12, 2020 7:17 PM in response to Person_2099

Thank you!(^v^) “Person”. I appreciate very much your reply. What is ARM processor? I am interested to know more about it. As long as the old MacBook AIR won’t die on me with It’s old battery. I may just wait for a little while. The debating battle “to buy or not to buy” happened 2years ago while the trackpad acted up. 😃😆😂

I have followed the link you provided to see how to bring the info to the new AIR. The more I read, the more I am getting anxiety. Yet, it does help to know what options are available. Thank you!😉

sincerely, wen

Jul 13, 2020 12:05 AM in response to wen-wen888

Arm Based Macs

Sorry I took so long to reply but SandsOfArrkis explains this almost perfectly. A couple other things I would like to note are that recently during Apple's online WWDC20 Developers Conference Apple announced their change to ARM powered Macs and with this announcement they said the are hoping to have completed this transition away from intel in 2 years. During this announcement they also announced that they still have intel based Mac's that they will release during this 2 year timeline and that they are planning on supporting the intel Macs and continuing to make software for them for a while to come. Apple also said that they were planning on announcing their first ARM based Mac at the end of this year (2020).

Transferring Data

I would recommend using your old Mac to transfer files to your new Mac taking advantage of the Migration assistant software and then keeping your old Mac on hand for at least 30 days while you use your new one so that if you realise any files are missing you can get them back. However in my experience the Migration assistant software has worked flawlessly for me.

Jul 15, 2020 12:42 AM in response to Person_2099

Thank you!(^v^) for your kind advices. I tried to look for “SandsOfArrkis “ but no lucks. However, your explanation shines the light 💡 and I appreciate it very much.

Also, I just realized that there is no longer 11” size of MacBookAIR available For purchasing. I wonder if APPLE has made the standard 13” AIR lighter now. I have a company employee deal to buy a new AIR. It looks like I would just get the 13” it is.

One more daunting task for me...

After I place the order and receive the brand spanking new 13” AIR, do you turn on the AIR like you turn on a new iPhone? Do I just position the new AIR side by side next to my old 11” and see the magic automatically happening? 🤔 I hope I don’t crack you up but it is my true fear wondering if I ever need a Tech savvy person to help me set up my new AIR.

As for the Migration Assistant software, when people migrate meaning to bring the whole nine yard to the new country. Will the data in my old 11” disappear after being migrating to the the new 13”?

I don’t think I am able to wait for another two years because I just got the message on my iPhone said “Your MAC is no longer syncing with iCloud photos, Camera will capture in High Efficiency Format.” 🥺

Sorry about running the ideas all over the place but just wanting to know your input on the weight concern and the turn-on challenge. 😃😆😂

sincerely,

wen

Jul 15, 2020 7:14 AM in response to wen-wen888

Well about the turn on challenge. Not sure about the automagically migrating data to be honest. I have an Air and a Mini and I've done it the old school way. My data is backed up on an external hard drive and just hooked it up to the new computer and copy it back.

11 inch Air's haven't been sold for years now. I have a 2017 Air and that one didn't have an 11 version anymore. 13 inch is now the smallest one you can get. As for weight.

Copy & Paste from the Dutch Apple site :)

Afmetingen en gewicht

Hoogte: 0,41-1,61 cm

Breedte: 30,41 cm

Diepte: 21,24 cm

Gewicht: 1,29 kg

So it's 1.29 kg in weight.

Jul 18, 2020 6:32 PM in response to SandsOfArrakis

Thank you very much for the information. I read through your education points on ARM CPU, which is very helpful and I am convinced to purchase a new AIR now. I was using my Air (99%) when a movie started on TV. By the end of the movie, my AIR is only 25% power left.

A new question comes to my mind. The USB-C vs. USB. Should I purchase the CONVERTER? Will I ever have USE of that thingy?

Is it time to get a new MacBook AIR?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.