Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cheap Macbook air - good idea or bad idea?

I need a laptop for when I'm out and about.

I've got an old Macbook Pro - that serves me fine!

The battery won't last 60-90 minutes - for everything I need it's perfect - it's plugged into the mains whenever I am working on it.

But... I'd like something lightweight AND which has a loooong battery.

I looked up Macbook Air prices. 2014 model, I can buy off ebay for just over £100.

I'm guessing (hoping) that the battery will still last a few hours? 🧐

If so... then I'm fine.

I need something to:

• Run a browser with 10 - 20 tabs open
  • Visual Studio for coding

But... am I being wishful in my thinking? Should I NOT go for the cheapest? Should I go for a 2017 model?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2022 8:21 AM

omar.m wrote:

• I need a laptop for when I'm out and about.
I've got an old Macbook Pro - that serves me fine! The battery won't last 60-90 minutes - for everything I need it's perfect - it's plugged into the mains whenever I am working on it.

along with the solid advice you've already received, if the old Mac still "serves you fine" and budget is dictating your decision, why not just have the battery replaced in the old Mac?

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2022 8:21 AM in response to omar.m

omar.m wrote:

• I need a laptop for when I'm out and about.
I've got an old Macbook Pro - that serves me fine! The battery won't last 60-90 minutes - for everything I need it's perfect - it's plugged into the mains whenever I am working on it.

along with the solid advice you've already received, if the old Mac still "serves you fine" and budget is dictating your decision, why not just have the battery replaced in the old Mac?

Oct 20, 2022 3:30 PM in response to omar.m

Generally speaking, no you should not buy any Mac based on price alone. You — usually — get what you pay for.

You are also considering a 2014 model, one that is very near if not at the end of its economic life. Its battery may already be depleted to the point it that it needs to be replaced. The Mac's specifications are important; for example if it has the minimum amount of storage upgrading macOS may leave very little of it remaining for the work you need it to do.

Buying a used Mac is generally a task for very experienced Mac users. For example, if the seller were to indicate it's running Big Sur (for example) then you should run away from the deal, because he or she has not properly prepared it for sale. If that task is not correctly accomplished the problems associated with such neglect may not become evident for months. Same advice holds if the seller advertises the Mac with a full suite of Adobe or Microsoft programs (for example) already installed. A Mac may not be sold in that condition.

These are just a few concerns. Having said all that I have a personal acquaintance who (against my advice) bought a similar age MacBook Air for about that same price. I told him the price was too good to be true. As it turns out, those Macs were trade-ins from a primary school that were very professionally resold at a very attractive price. They all sold very quickly. A few hundred in all.

He is very happy with it. So there are some happy endings, but they are rare.

Oct 21, 2022 5:39 AM in response to omar.m

FWIW, personally, I would not purchase any used laptop that I could not see and test in person before buying. When buying something used sight unseen, the seller can leave out lots of issues and you may just be buying someone else's problems.

I am sure in your country, there are many reputable dealers of used computers that will at least give you some sort of short warranty and a one or two week return policy if not satisfied. If looking for a used computer sight unseen, I would check those possibilities out first.

Oct 21, 2022 8:30 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

Thanks for all the replies guys.

@jeffreythefrog oooh very clever 🙂

I think that sounds like an excellent idea.

I just looked on ebay... £42 roughly - but this is for a 3rd party.

Real Apple will probably cost £999. LOL.

I see batteries for Mac Air as well. I've seen plenty of super cheap Mac Air's with no working battery on ebay for cheap.

A new battery is the best way to go I think 👍🏼

Oct 21, 2022 8:39 AM in response to omar.m

you're welcome. and if you are considering an aftermarket battery, I would recommend going to OWC’s website to research the battery. and since you are using £ as your currency, look into OWC resellers international. they are known for quality products, as well as compatibility with apple products.

as well, I've seen that in the US, I believe that a battery replacement at an Apple Store only costs $199 USD, so you may want to look locally for that service.

best of luck. 😀

Cheap Macbook air - good idea or bad idea?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.