Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't move certain files in Finder

Hello everyone,

I am a brand new Mac user currently using a new MacBook Pro (13) updated to the most recent version of Catalina. I am having a weird problem with Finder. I can't move certain files to other folders or the trash. I can delete them by right clicking but if I try to drag them somewhere they won't move. Other files can be moved fine.

I have tried to restart Finder, restart the computer, deleted the preference files for the mouse/trackpad (found a list in an OSXTips post). I thought maybe it was a permissions issue so when I check the file using get info it says that I have both read and write permissions. And again I can just right click and delete the file but it won't let me move it anywhere.

Just wondered if there was something else to try before I just reformat the computer and start over.

Thanks,

J

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 4:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 5:12 AM

This is just an update for anyone looking to solve this issue. After scouring the internet for a few days I came across a post suggesting it is a trackpad setting. I messed around with the settings and now don't seem to have a problem.

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 13, 2020 6:00 AM in response to a brody

First of all thanks for your help. I totally get what you are saying about system files. But for example I can't do anything with a pdf file that is a newsletter from my kid's school. I can't move it to trash or documents. I can check permission (which I have read/write). I can even right click and delete it. I just can't move it.

Thanks again,

J

Can't move certain files in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.