Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WhatsApp places call on its own

Maybe this isn’t where I should ask this question, and if not, please redirect me. My iPhone 11 was in my pocket. I was standing in the kitchen and leaned against the counter, my iPhone was pressed slightly against the counter, and all of a sudden an outgoing phone call sound came on. I took the phone out of my pocket and here on the screen is someone I have in my contacts but whom I have NEVER texted, FaceTimed, emailed or sent messages to by any other means, including WhatsApp. But here he is on the screen and it appears I called him in WhatsApp. Previous to putting my phone in my pocket I had been on WhatsApp with a friend. I can’t tell you if I locked the phone or not before putting it in my pocket nor if I closed WhatsApp, but 15-20 minutes had passed since then and the phone is set to lock after two minutes of inactivity. My fingers never came near the screen nor my face (unlocks with Face ID). Can someone tell me how this could’ve happened? I am finding the iPhone 11 does too much too easily. I had the old SE before this.

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 12:01 PM

My own solution to this annoying problem of the phone making unwanted phone calls, or trying to make one, is below in bold font. I just want to mention that the other day I was engaged in a conversation with my husband, and Siri pipes up and says, “Just to confirm—you’d like to call Julia R*** - mobile?” I pulled my phone out of my pocket and on the screen it showed that I said, “Foster call Julia.” Now, what in the world was that piece of nonsense?! And besides, I have Siri set up that it only responds to “Hey Siri”. I exclaimed “No!” My husband asked what I was saying, and I replied, “Oh, just crazy Siri wanting to know if I wanted to call Julia R***.” Immediately Siri says, “Calling Julia R***-mobile”. Grr-rr! I promptly ended the call.

So what I’ve done to put an end to this annoying Siri is disabled “Hey Siri” and disabled “Allow Siri When Locked”. This handicaps me a little, but better than this overly-eager assistant disrupting conversations and making unwanted phone calls. Siri didn’t used to be so super sensitive. We need Steve Jobs’ credentials on the table!!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2020 12:01 PM in response to ConLorMar

My own solution to this annoying problem of the phone making unwanted phone calls, or trying to make one, is below in bold font. I just want to mention that the other day I was engaged in a conversation with my husband, and Siri pipes up and says, “Just to confirm—you’d like to call Julia R*** - mobile?” I pulled my phone out of my pocket and on the screen it showed that I said, “Foster call Julia.” Now, what in the world was that piece of nonsense?! And besides, I have Siri set up that it only responds to “Hey Siri”. I exclaimed “No!” My husband asked what I was saying, and I replied, “Oh, just crazy Siri wanting to know if I wanted to call Julia R***.” Immediately Siri says, “Calling Julia R***-mobile”. Grr-rr! I promptly ended the call.

So what I’ve done to put an end to this annoying Siri is disabled “Hey Siri” and disabled “Allow Siri When Locked”. This handicaps me a little, but better than this overly-eager assistant disrupting conversations and making unwanted phone calls. Siri didn’t used to be so super sensitive. We need Steve Jobs’ credentials on the table!!

Jul 16, 2020 10:14 AM in response to ConLorMar

Hi ConLorMar,

We understand you experienced an unexpected outgoing call on a third party app.

A call could have been inadvertently triggered by Siri, or via an unexpected touch that may have happened while the device was in your pocket.

If you wish to mitigate this in future, you can disabled access to Camera & Mic for apps in: Settings > Privacy > Camera/Microphone.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Jul 17, 2020 2:25 PM in response to chris_g1

Thank you for replying. I guess we’ll never know, will we. A call should not be triggered so easily. It’s ridiculous. Anyway, I disabled Siri and enabled it again, so I had to go through the steps for voice recognition. I find Siri has been interrupting too many conversations Of late with, “I didn’t quite get that”, ’or something to that effect. Hopefully, with disabling/enabling Siri this will be corrected.

WhatsApp places call on its own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.