Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MSP Anywhere agent

Hello all! Curious if I have a unapproved app placed on my computer called "MSP Anywhere Agent" It is asking me to share my computer screen and such when I booted my computer this morning. Is this some part of a Mac Update or is it a bad thing that should be uninstalled?

Thanks in Advance!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 8:50 AM

Nothing in the OS is going to ask you to share your screen.

This is what you are seeing: https://www.solarwindsmsp.com/content/advanced-monitoring-agent

If you didn't install it, is it a company computer or your own personal? Nothing can just install itself.

15 replies

Jul 13, 2020 1:33 PM in response to crysta101

No I didn't install it.

Well, somebody did. Nothing can be installed on a Mac unless you install it. You can't just peruse a website and get something installed on your Mac.

I am very particular about what I allow on my computer. Latest installations included WhatsApp and zoom.

Those two apps don't sound like you're being very particular.

From where did you download the installers for Zoom and WhatsApp? If you didn't get the directly from the developer's websites, you probably installed it with one of those apps.

How to install adware - Apple Community

Jul 22, 2020 1:10 PM in response to TheSheriffCCA

Boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and and try to delete the app from there. Safe Mode prevents any 3rd party software from launching and running.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

Jul 25, 2020 5:25 AM in response to crysta101

MSP Anywhere is a legitimate IT remote access client by SolarWinds. See website below.

https://www.solarwindsmsp.com/products/take-control

It doesn’t install itself and it is used by corporate IT departments for remote access to client computers for technical support. If you don’t know how it got on your machine then you have bigger problems. Did you recently call anyone for support on an app on your Mac? Perhaps you don't remember giving permission to install this support client. Some of these MSP (including SolarWinds and others) clients have been hacked to install ransomware but that happened over a year ago.

MSP Anywhere agent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.