Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to update to ios 10

hello i need help with my ipad mini which i got online i cant download most of the apps as it say to update ios 10 which i am unable to do so...

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 2:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 2:17 AM

Go into Settings > General > Software Update --follow any on-screen instructions to install updates.

You preview the steps in the article: Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Also be sure to check your iPad compatibility here in this list: https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/supported-models-ipad213a25b2/ipados

Only the iPad mini 4 or later support the latest iOS.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2020 2:17 AM in response to vayu64

Go into Settings > General > Software Update --follow any on-screen instructions to install updates.

You preview the steps in the article: Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Also be sure to check your iPad compatibility here in this list: https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/supported-models-ipad213a25b2/ipados

Only the iPad mini 4 or later support the latest iOS.

Jul 14, 2020 5:33 PM in response to vayu64

Look,

If you own an 8 or 9-year old iPad, it is a moot point whether your iPad can update to iOS 10, or not, now in 2020.

These 8 wnd 9-year old iPad models will very soon be fully and completely obsolete by the end of 2020.

Here's why.

Tap and read my link below for my additional info about your iPad model.

If you own OLD 8 and 9 Year Old iPad mo… - Apple Community

If you need an iPad that can run the latest and greatest versions of iOS, as well as, the most current apps available, then, you need to purchase a new iPad from Apple or a discounted, refurbished iPad from Apple’s Refurbished & Clearance section of Apple’s Website or a new or refurbished iPad from an Apple authorised, third party retail or online reseller OR other trusted sources for new or used Apple products.

Time for a new, refurbished or much “newer” ( read used ) iPad.

If you must purchase older, used iPad models, DO NOT look at anything older than a 2014 iPad Air 2 or 2015 iPad Mini 4.

Both of these models are the oldest iPad models that the up and coming iPadOS 14 will support, in the Fall of 2020.

If you must purchased used devices from unknown sources, you must ask A WHOLE LOT more questions of the iOS device seller, ask for more photo/images, ask if the iPad has user/iCloud activation lock and ask for photos/images/short video proof, ANY VISUAL PROOF, that such an iPad has been reset to factory settings and shown proof of the iOS device's start up screen showing the animated, moving, multi-language “Hello” Welcome to iPad screen.

If the iOS device seller is unwilling to do all of this to show you that the iPad, in question, is ready to use with no barriers to new user activation and use, pass on the iOS device and look at other iOS device sellers elsewhere.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Jul 14, 2020 3:28 AM in response to vayu64

You likely have an iPad2, iPad3 or original iPad mini. These devices cannot be updated beyond iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models) or iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular).

Apple ended update support for these devices in September 2016. None of these models can be updated to iOS 10 or later versions, as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements for new versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Many App Developers have also dropped support for older devices and iOS versions preceding iOS11/12/13 - and have withdrawn older versions of their Apps from the Apple App Store, now limiting utility and usefulness of older devices.

If Apps that you need to use now have higher minimum iOS-version requirements, your only option is to replace your iPad with newer model. Of current iPad models, even the entry-level Even iPad7 model supports current iPadOS 13.x - and has hardware specifications and capabilities that will vastly outperform your old iPad. Other models offer a further step-up In both features and performance.

If you consider a “newer” but not “current” model as a replacement, you would be well advised to only consider models that can run iPadOS 13.x (any of which will also run the forthcoming iPadOS 14) - so the earliest models to consider are Air2, mini4 or any model of iPad Pro. The more recent the model, the greater its probable lifespan.

I hope this information is helpful - if only in clearly and succinctly outlining your current options.

how to update to ios 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.