Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple News app on MacOS Catalina - Unable to UNFOLLOW news sources and topics

Hi, I've just rediscovered Apple News on MacOS the past few months, and I've been enjoying it as a news aggregator. However recently it's gone haywire.

I've been attempting to 'Unfollow' / 'Unsubscribe' from certain news outlets and keyword topics, so I can have a cleaner and less cluttered New app by removing old or irrelevant topics. However, when I unfollow an item, it reappears a few seconds later. I don't know what is happening.

How do I ensure that unfollowed topics/sources, stay out of my selections? Could this be related to the last software update?

Thank you.

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 5:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 9:04 AM

Thanks. I don't know the exact solution here, but I think you are basically right. Let me close this out for anyone else encounters this.

-So, making Follow/Unfollow changes to the News app on MacOS, was not working (changes would reverse themselves).

-I confirmed my News app is using iCloud.

-I then went to the News app on my iPhone (which I never use and have hidden away in a folder), and cleaned out the unwanted news sources and keyword topics.

-All changes are reflected in the News app, with no problems.

I'm no expert, it seems to me the News app on the MacOS has some sort of child/dependent relationship to the News app on iOS when the apps use iCloud.

Thanks for your help

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2020 9:04 AM in response to Marco Klobas

Thanks. I don't know the exact solution here, but I think you are basically right. Let me close this out for anyone else encounters this.

-So, making Follow/Unfollow changes to the News app on MacOS, was not working (changes would reverse themselves).

-I confirmed my News app is using iCloud.

-I then went to the News app on my iPhone (which I never use and have hidden away in a folder), and cleaned out the unwanted news sources and keyword topics.

-All changes are reflected in the News app, with no problems.

I'm no expert, it seems to me the News app on the MacOS has some sort of child/dependent relationship to the News app on iOS when the apps use iCloud.

Thanks for your help

Apple News app on MacOS Catalina - Unable to UNFOLLOW news sources and topics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.