Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

news notifications for channels I dont follow.

Short of turning notifications off completely for News, how do I stop notifications for a particular channel that I'm not even subscribed to. I'm running Catalina but the issue has existed since Mojave.

I allow notifications for News in the Notifications Center in System Preferences, I like getting notifications for channels I follow, but I'm aso receiving notifications for stories from Variety which I dont follow.

The odd thing is, these notifications dont show up on the News app's history page (notifications from sources to do follow do show up there)

I've tried following and unfollowing Variety, but the notifications continue. Any ideas on where to ferret out this setting?

MacBook

Posted on Nov 18, 2019 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 9:24 AM

Hi rtphokie2,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're receiving notifications for Variety when you don't follow or subscribe to their content. I can see why you'd reach out about this behavior; I'd like to help. I'd recommend using the first set of steps below to see if these are coming from stories in "Today," and how to restrict them to only channels you follow. If you continue to see notifications from Variety, use the second set of steps to block the channel:

"Change settings for Today and notifications

You can restrict stories that appear in Today so you only see stories from the channels that you follow.

• On your Mac, choose News > Preferences from the menu at the top of your computer screen. Then select Restrict stories in Today.

You can also choose which channels you want to get notifications for.

• On your Mac, choose File > Manage Notifications.

Block a channel or topic, or report a concern

If you don't want to see any stories from a specific channel or topic, block that channel or topic.

1. Go to Today and tap or click the channel or topic to open it.
    2. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, tap . On your Mac, click Share button .
    3. Choose Block Channel or Block Topic."

Read the latest headlines in the Apple News app

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2019 9:24 AM in response to rtphokie2

Hi rtphokie2,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're receiving notifications for Variety when you don't follow or subscribe to their content. I can see why you'd reach out about this behavior; I'd like to help. I'd recommend using the first set of steps below to see if these are coming from stories in "Today," and how to restrict them to only channels you follow. If you continue to see notifications from Variety, use the second set of steps to block the channel:

"Change settings for Today and notifications

You can restrict stories that appear in Today so you only see stories from the channels that you follow.

• On your Mac, choose News > Preferences from the menu at the top of your computer screen. Then select Restrict stories in Today.

You can also choose which channels you want to get notifications for.

• On your Mac, choose File > Manage Notifications.

Block a channel or topic, or report a concern

If you don't want to see any stories from a specific channel or topic, block that channel or topic.

1. Go to Today and tap or click the channel or topic to open it.
    2. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, tap . On your Mac, click Share button .
    3. Choose Block Channel or Block Topic."

Read the latest headlines in the Apple News app

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

news notifications for channels I dont follow.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.