Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I set a default sound input device?

Is there a way to set a particular device as the default sound input on a Mac?

When I connect my Bluetooth headset to my MacBook Air, the device for sound input automatically switches from the internal MacBook Air mic to the mic on the headset. I don't want to use my headset mic since it has some issues, so every time I connect my headset to my MacBook Air, I have to manually go into the Sound preferences and switch the device for sound input back to the internal mic. Is there a way to prevent the device for sound input from switching off of the internal mic?

(MacBook Air 2020, running macOS Catalina 10.15.5)

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 8:20 AM

I don't know if there is a way to prevent that, but at least I can offer a much quicker way to switch.

Hold down the Option key and click the volume icon in the menu bar. Select the desired source.

Notes:

• if you don't hold down the Option key, you will only see the options for sound output.

• if you don't see the volume icon in the menu bar, you need to open System Preferences->Sound, and check the box that says "Show volume in menu bar"

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2020 8:20 AM in response to GHGaby

I don't know if there is a way to prevent that, but at least I can offer a much quicker way to switch.

Hold down the Option key and click the volume icon in the menu bar. Select the desired source.

Notes:

• if you don't hold down the Option key, you will only see the options for sound output.

• if you don't see the volume icon in the menu bar, you need to open System Preferences->Sound, and check the box that says "Show volume in menu bar"

Can I set a default sound input device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.