Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set default sound input/output

I work from home and have 4x audio outputs (MacbookPro speakers, HDMI monitor, iPhone speakers, USB speaker). I also have 2x audio inputs (MacbookPro microphone, iPhone mic).

There should be a setting in MacOS to allow selection of a default sound input/output, so that whenever you plug in a particular output (e.g. USB speakers), it will default to that.

It currently defaults to MacbookPro input/output if my speakers weren't plugged in initially, but since the MacbookPro is closed in my desktop setup, it can't record any sound.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 1:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 8:11 AM

Hello cazzzac44,

Based on your post, it sounds like you have some feedback about the input/output audio setting options built into macOS. To ensure your feedback reaches Apple, please submit it here: Product Feedback

Take care!

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 31, 2023 3:12 AM in response to cazzzac44

I found a work around that allows me to manually set a default input device using OBS (free streaming software). It works for me system wide and even when OBS is not running.

1. Install OBS https://obsproject.com/
  2. Provide OBS with the permissions it requests during setup.
  3. In the Audio Mixer section of the main page you should see Mic/AUX. Hit the three vertical dots > Properties > Device. 

4.Select the device you want as your default.

Set default sound input/output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.