Rode NT-USB Mic & Harman/Kardon Sound Sticks not listed as input & output choices in OS Ventura 13.6

As part of a substantial hardware repair my MacBook Pro was returned by Apple with OS 13.6 installed. One of the nasty surprises today was that suddenly my external USB mic and external USB speakers no longer appear on the relevant device lists in the updated Sound preferences tab.

What the heck? I know that the Sound Sticks are old school, but both devices are durable, very high quality outboard tech that work great. How on earth does it make sense to code perfectly functional audio devices like these out of use in a new Mac OS? The OS supports airplay on our living room TV and displays a basic 17" HP secondary display as audio outputs, but not these superior, simple USB-connected devices. Can this be correct and intentional? Why?

(And by the way the device tag below is incorrect, this is a 2019 16" MacBook pro.)

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Nov 1, 2023 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2023 9:43 PM

Solved. A helpful support tech on chat informed me that the Ventura 13.6.1 security update was just released. Following that update these devices now appear again in the Sound preferences panel!

1 reply

Rode NT-USB Mic & Harman/Kardon Sound Sticks not listed as input & output choices in OS Ventura 13.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.