Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Water damage

I walked into the boat launch and forgot I had my iPhone XR in my pocket the phone went less then half way into the water for about a second bc I realized immediately. I have put it in rice and dry it out yet I still have colored lines on my screen. Is there anything I can do? Absolutely ridiculous seeing they are rated to be fully submerged for 30 minutes

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 7:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 8:44 AM

No iPhone is waterproof.

Water resistant is not the same thing.

The 30 minutes thing is how the device was tested under laboratory conditions, it is not a suggestion for real world use.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207043

To prevent liquid damage, avoid these:

• Swimming or bathing with your iPhone
  • Exposing your iPhone to pressurized water or high velocity water, such as when showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on
  • Using your iPhone in a sauna or steam room
  • Intentionally submerging your iPhone in water
  • Operating your iPhone outside the suggested temperature ranges or in extremely humid conditions
  • Dropping your iPhone or subjecting it to other impacts
  • Disassembling your iPhone, including removing screws

You have damaged the screen.

Contact Apple support to see what your options are

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2020 8:44 AM in response to Dstiles10

No iPhone is waterproof.

Water resistant is not the same thing.

The 30 minutes thing is how the device was tested under laboratory conditions, it is not a suggestion for real world use.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207043

To prevent liquid damage, avoid these:

• Swimming or bathing with your iPhone
  • Exposing your iPhone to pressurized water or high velocity water, such as when showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on
  • Using your iPhone in a sauna or steam room
  • Intentionally submerging your iPhone in water
  • Operating your iPhone outside the suggested temperature ranges or in extremely humid conditions
  • Dropping your iPhone or subjecting it to other impacts
  • Disassembling your iPhone, including removing screws

You have damaged the screen.

Contact Apple support to see what your options are

Jul 14, 2020 9:00 AM in response to Dstiles10

Unfortunately, your phone was liquid damaged, regardless on the amount of time it was submerged (partially or fully). Apple's 1-year hardware warranty does not cover this type of damage. If you elected to get an AppleCare+ plan with this phone, and it is still active, you may be able to get a replacement phone at a reduced cost.

Using rice, or any other form of desiccant, will not help. The reasons is, even if the rice could absorb all of the liquid, any trace minerals in the liquid would be left behind and potentially cause short-circuits. This can result in potentially further damage with continued use of the phone.

Water damage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.