Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have updated to Catalina, but now cannot access my iPhoto

I have updated to Catalina, but now cannot access my iPhoto.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 9:03 AM

iPhoto no longer works in Catalina.

You need to use the Photos App instead.

Switch to Photos from iPhoto on Mac - Apple Support

When you open Photos it should automatically migrate your iPhoto library.

6 replies

Jul 16, 2020 7:34 AM in response to 1Muffin16

I have High Sierra 10.13.1 and have had a same difficulty, but preferring to continue the unsupported iPhoto, even though I did start to get Photos to open the iPhoto LIbrary at one point.

To get iPhotos working again, here is what worked for me:

Open a terminal window (If it's not in your tray, go to Finder, Application, Utilities folder, terminal.app).

This is the command line interface, with unix like commands (like a DOS window in a Microsoft OS)

Type the follow command and press return:

/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/iPhoto

Voila

(I think the UI of iPhoto is much superior to Photos.)

Would be very interested in knowing if this works for Catalina too.

Jul 16, 2020 8:13 AM in response to CharlesDeGaulle

As per reply from Keith Barkley, the High Sierra solution won't work on Catalina, which won't run 32 bit software. However, there is a work around, though a bit involved.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-run-32-bit-apps-in-macos-catalina

This link gives step by step instructions for installing a virtual machine on your Catalina, that would run Mohave or High Sierra. I don't know if following that scenario, you might still encounter an the problem I experienced, and need to still launch from a terminal. Doubtful that would occur unless because the VM gets a fresh install, but if it does, then same launch by command line would still apply.

Obviously the VM solution is only desirable for those who have Catalina, but prefer the discontinued outdated iPhotos over Photos

I have updated to Catalina, but now cannot access my iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.