Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

activating new iphone but it's been three hours for migration

I am activating a new iphone 11 using migration from my iphone 6. It's been 3 hours and the 11 says "it may take a few minutes to activate your phone". I can't turn the phone off so not sure what's up.

iPhone 11

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 4:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 8:06 AM

Hi, sirgroiney.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. We’re glad you decided to reach out about migrating to your new iPhone. Were you able to get your data transferred? 

If not, try forcing your iPhone 11 to restart.

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

When it comes up again, if the migration was unsuccessful, make sure you’re following the guidance outlined in the “How to use iPhone migration” here:

Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Note that you need to make sure both devices are connected to power and they stay near each other. Depending upon your connection type, network conditions, and the amount of data on your iPhone 6, it can take awhile for the data to transfer.

All our best.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2020 8:06 AM in response to sirgroiney

Hi, sirgroiney.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. We’re glad you decided to reach out about migrating to your new iPhone. Were you able to get your data transferred? 

If not, try forcing your iPhone 11 to restart.

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

When it comes up again, if the migration was unsuccessful, make sure you’re following the guidance outlined in the “How to use iPhone migration” here:

Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Note that you need to make sure both devices are connected to power and they stay near each other. Depending upon your connection type, network conditions, and the amount of data on your iPhone 6, it can take awhile for the data to transfer.

All our best.

Jul 18, 2020 1:25 PM in response to MoonJ.

Yes, thank you so much. I did indeed finally give up and restart my new phone. Then I selected MANUAL and used the iCloud, where I'd already backed up my iPhone 6 the day before. I am a novice at this migration, and I did want to have my iPhone 6 "talk" to my iPhone 11 for the novelty...but after three hours I wanted to try a different solution. Perhaps waiting three hours shows my ignorance and on a good note: patience. ha. So the download from iCloud took minutes for me. Anyway I LOVE this iPhone 11 it is so smooth and super fast and does more things than perhaps I deserve! So many subtle and clever design upgrades from the 6. During this time of SIP it makes life a bit more fun.

activating new iphone but it's been three hours for migration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.