You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find old messages that are not on my phone but on iCloud

I have old messages I need for an very important reason but I deleted them off my phone but backed them up on iCloud first. How do I find those messages?

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 6:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 6:58 AM

Do you mean iMessages/SMS messages? If you are using iCloud Syncing for Messages (and it sounds as if you are), then they are not part of your back up. Once you delete a message from one device, it's gone from all of them and is not saved anywhere.

If you're not using iCloud Syncing, and you have a back up that contains the messages, you can restore your phone from that back up.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Note that restoring from a back up will overwrite everything currently on the device.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 15, 2020 6:58 AM in response to Liviebyrd @att.net

Do you mean iMessages/SMS messages? If you are using iCloud Syncing for Messages (and it sounds as if you are), then they are not part of your back up. Once you delete a message from one device, it's gone from all of them and is not saved anywhere.

If you're not using iCloud Syncing, and you have a back up that contains the messages, you can restore your phone from that back up.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Note that restoring from a back up will overwrite everything currently on the device.

How do I find old messages that are not on my phone but on iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.