Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine can't use Disk on MacMini for backups; why?

I have a Western Digital 8TB drive attached to my MacMini. It's primary purpose is to hold my TV and Movie libraries, but I also use it for Time Machine backups for three computers: the MacMini itself, my wife's MacBook Air, and my older (2013) MacBook Pro. This all works well.

But, my new MacBook Pro has not been able to backup to the same disk. The disk mounts on my MacBook Pro and behaves perfectly when so mounted. I can explore the files on it and transfer stuff in and out.

But when I try to set it up as a target for Time Machine, it apparently connects, but then I get this message:

The message appears self-explanatory, except that as far as I can tell I've done what it requests countless times and it still responds with that same message.

I'm wondering if there's some kind of interference between the backups for the older MacBook Pro and the attempt to backup the new one.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks,

Dave

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 11:19 AM

I solved it!!!

It sounds obvious when I say it like this: When you try to set up a Time Machine backup across the network to a remote disk, you must use the exact same credentials to access that disk as you did to make it visible in the Finder.

If you don't you get the message I reported above.

Why would you use any other credentials? Because at some point recently, the possibilities changed, and now when the Finder connects to a remote disk, unless instructed otherwise, it does so using some variant of your Apple ID. So, when you try to set up the Time Machine connection to the remote disk, it even tells you that that's the name it's using and asks for the password, but the Apple ID password doesn't work.

So, you try your own id and password, and that satisfies Time Machine, in that it allows it to see the remote disk. But the moment it actually tries to use the disk it gets blown away because the credentials aren't the same.

This only affects new Time Machine connections. Once one is made, from then on, Time Machine can use those credentials without any need for them to match what's happening in the Finder.

Phew! This was driving me nuts. I was on the phone all afternoon yesterday with a senior Apple Advisor and he was stumped, too.

Dave

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2020 11:19 AM in response to sterling r

I solved it!!!

It sounds obvious when I say it like this: When you try to set up a Time Machine backup across the network to a remote disk, you must use the exact same credentials to access that disk as you did to make it visible in the Finder.

If you don't you get the message I reported above.

Why would you use any other credentials? Because at some point recently, the possibilities changed, and now when the Finder connects to a remote disk, unless instructed otherwise, it does so using some variant of your Apple ID. So, when you try to set up the Time Machine connection to the remote disk, it even tells you that that's the name it's using and asks for the password, but the Apple ID password doesn't work.

So, you try your own id and password, and that satisfies Time Machine, in that it allows it to see the remote disk. But the moment it actually tries to use the disk it gets blown away because the credentials aren't the same.

This only affects new Time Machine connections. Once one is made, from then on, Time Machine can use those credentials without any need for them to match what's happening in the Finder.

Phew! This was driving me nuts. I was on the phone all afternoon yesterday with a senior Apple Advisor and he was stumped, too.

Dave

Jul 18, 2020 3:36 PM in response to DaveSofNJ

Hello DaveSofNJ,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

We understand from your post that you have not been able to set up your new MacBook Pro with Time Machine as you are getting a message saying that Time Machine couldn't complete the backup. this article has steps which may help:

If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Time Machine can't use Disk on MacMini for backups; why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.