Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot failure High Sierra imac 2011 mid

Hello friends

I have a problem with my imac mid 2011. It no longer allows macOS 10.13.6 to boot. Here are the last 3 messages from Verbose mode:

/ dev / disk1s1 on (apfs, local, journaled)

bash: /etc/rc.server: No such file or directory

tzinit: new update not compatible or older version: 2020a.1.0 vs. 2020a.1.0: No such file or directory

I have already deleted /System/Library/Caches/ in Recovery/Safe Mode via terminal, PRAM reset and SMC reset. But macOS no longer comes to the login screen :(

Can someone help me? You are my last hope.

many greetings

Jakob

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 7:11 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 15, 2020 8:41 AM in response to jakob1677

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later… https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904#notupdated

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Jul 21, 2020 7:20 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BD Aqua,

thanks for your mail. Unfortunately after the new installation this only worked for 2 reboots. I have found another way. This now seems to have worked.

1)Restart your Mac and hold down Command-R to start up from macOS Recovery.

2)If the startup drive has FileVault turned on, open Disk Utility and proceed with the next step. If FileVault is off, skip to step 4.

3)Select the startup drive and click Mount in the Disk Utility toolbar. When prompted, select a login name and enter the password. Then click Unlock to mount the startup drive.

Quit Disk Utility.

4)Choose Utilities > Terminal from the menu bar.

5)Type this command in Terminal:

cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/var/db/caches/opendirectory/

(Modify the command to reflect the name of the startup volume if it's not Macintosh HD. Remember to use an escape character \ before each white space in the command path.)

6)Press Return.

7)Type this command in Terminal:

mv ./mbr_cache ./mbr_cache-old

8)Press Return.

9)Quit Terminal.

10)Choose Apple () menu > Restart.

The first startup after running these commands takes longer than usual as the cache is recreated. Subsequent startups will take the normal amount of time.

Boot failure High Sierra imac 2011 mid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.