Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Share or move a large quantity of Photos in iCloud

I have a 2TB iCloud account, which I family share with my wife. She has the family album of 26,000 photos on her iMac, which are now in icloud

How can I access these photos without logging in with my wife's apple ID

Sharing files back to me has limitations I believe on max capacity

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Justin

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2020 1:53 AM

As per the article https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/family-sharing-share-photos-videos-mac-mh869cba7026/mac

After the family organizer creates a Family Sharing group, family members have a shared photo album called Family. Members can view and download photos and videos that other family members add to the album.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2020 1:53 AM in response to justinfrommansfield

As per the article https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/family-sharing-share-photos-videos-mac-mh869cba7026/mac

After the family organizer creates a Family Sharing group, family members have a shared photo album called Family. Members can view and download photos and videos that other family members add to the album.

Jul 16, 2020 2:52 AM in response to justinfrommansfield

No you can only put up to 5,000 photos and videos in a shared album and you couldn't put them in your cloud unless you downloaded them all first

In any case, if you put them in your cloud storage, you might as well just share albums through your photos app, because they'll still appear on your Mac. iCloud isn't like an external drive where you can keep different content to your main drive, it's a mirror of device in the cloud.

I'm not sure why you don't want shared albums on your Mac, but your wife could have up to 200 albums, which easily fits her 26,000 in, and providing you opt for iCloud photos on your Mac, including yours, won't eat up all the space on your Mac.

How to Share or move a large quantity of Photos in iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.