Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading third party programs/apps onto a external hard drive

My MacBook Air only has a 128GB SSD and it is filling up fast. I recently brought a 2TB external hard drive where I have separated it, so 1TB is for backups (Time Machine) and the other 1TB is for storing files, etc.

Is it possible for me to also move/download third party programs/apps onto this external hard drive?

I only have 18.64GB left on the SSD and I need to download a program called MATLAB for Uni which is about 10GB.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 5:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 9:11 PM

Hello Random,

I use a similar practice for the same reasons that you are thinking about it. I have found that this approach of installing apps on an external drive is actually app dependent. In other words, most apps will allow you to install on an external drive directly attached to one of the ports on your MacBook and some apps (very few) will allow you to install on a drive that is on a WiFi Network and some that will insist on installing on the built-in SSD drive. I have a permanently attached 128GB USB Drive which works for this purpose however I only have the photo library and MS OFFICE documents on it. I think that you will be better served if you have your 2 TB external drive connected directly to your MacBook's port.

As far as MATLAB goes it will be good to do some research to learn whether it allows to be installed on an external drive.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2020 9:11 PM in response to Random4837

Hello Random,

I use a similar practice for the same reasons that you are thinking about it. I have found that this approach of installing apps on an external drive is actually app dependent. In other words, most apps will allow you to install on an external drive directly attached to one of the ports on your MacBook and some apps (very few) will allow you to install on a drive that is on a WiFi Network and some that will insist on installing on the built-in SSD drive. I have a permanently attached 128GB USB Drive which works for this purpose however I only have the photo library and MS OFFICE documents on it. I think that you will be better served if you have your 2 TB external drive connected directly to your MacBook's port.

As far as MATLAB goes it will be good to do some research to learn whether it allows to be installed on an external drive.

Axel F.

Downloading third party programs/apps onto a external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.