Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving Fees to External drive

My older Mac hard drive is full, a large part of which is photographs.

What files can I / should I move to external drive to make room?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 9:58 PM

Why don't you move your photos to an external drive? You could do the entire photo library giving you lots more space. FYI, you need to maintain an absolute minimum of at least 15 - 20 GB of empty space at all times in order to allow the computer and OS to function properly (more is better, especially on an SSD). If you fill it up completely, your computer will simply stop functioning.

If you want to do that, I would put them on a separate drive or on their own partition. Otherwise Time Machine may delete them when the drive gets too full.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2021 9:58 PM in response to David604

Why don't you move your photos to an external drive? You could do the entire photo library giving you lots more space. FYI, you need to maintain an absolute minimum of at least 15 - 20 GB of empty space at all times in order to allow the computer and OS to function properly (more is better, especially on an SSD). If you fill it up completely, your computer will simply stop functioning.

If you want to do that, I would put them on a separate drive or on their own partition. Otherwise Time Machine may delete them when the drive gets too full.

Apr 11, 2021 10:17 PM in response to David604

If you are talking about Photos.app photos, it is not recommended to store Photos.app libraries on Time Machine drives (it might corrupt the library). Get another drive and format it as APFS (SSD) or Mac OS Extended HDD and Finder > Get Info > Ignore ownership on this volume. Remember to backup that disk to another disk, if you do not want to lose the files.

Moving Fees to External drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.