Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mojave Sys Prefs/Screensaver slows down, locks up

iMac (late 2015), 10.14.6 -- opening Sys Prefs/Desktop & Screensaver, all actions slow down. Switching between Desktop/Screensaver, changing Screensaver options, etc, takes a couple minutes, occasional spinning beachball, locks up all other apps until Sys Prefs finishes whatever it's doing. Moving the cursor to a hot corner to engage screen saver similarly requires a long wait while it loads the photos for the screensaver. I've changed the source of the screensaver images between my own photos and system images, no difference.

The problem appears to be a long delay in screensaver loading images, locking out all other apps until it's complete. I assume something is corrupted? Anything I can delete/replace to fix this annoyance?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 16, 2020 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 5:03 AM

Hi, I had exactly the same issues it’s all started after Mojave Security Update 2020-004 & it affects screen savers with photos in them.

My solution for now is to use the Message/Text screen saver for now my device won’t keep freezing but it’s annoying that an update missed up an Apple system screen savers.

Similar questions

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2020 5:03 AM in response to mwegner

Hi, I had exactly the same issues it’s all started after Mojave Security Update 2020-004 & it affects screen savers with photos in them.

My solution for now is to use the Message/Text screen saver for now my device won’t keep freezing but it’s annoying that an update missed up an Apple system screen savers.

Dec 24, 2020 1:07 PM in response to Alfi

Yes! It is now fixed.

I found downgrading to original Mojave wasn't viable. I forgot that over the past year or two updates have made irreversible changes to our firmware, such that the updated firmware conflicts with older macOS versions. My Mac was creating firmware .dumb files!

Now all updates available applied as of 12/24 and the problem is fixed. I think fix was in Security Update 2020-007 Mojave https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212011, released 12/14/20.

Jul 19, 2020 8:47 AM in response to mwegner

Same here just after latest Security and Safari update ..i updated about17th of July 2020

Loading screensaver makesmy Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) unresponsive for felt 2 minutes; even happens when i open preferences for screensaver; the issue occured with landscapes; switched now to flury .. seems to solve it in preferences it does not slow down .. hope it keeps in normal use.

(tried another user account on my computer .. the same happenes with landscapes

Jul 25, 2020 6:56 AM in response to mwegner

iMac (2019), 10.14.6 - I had the same issue. I knew that the problem was Mojave Security Update 2020-004, because a bootable backup made before the update did not show the problem. After much troubleshooting, I reinstalled the operating system by booting up using Command-R. That reinstalled 10.14.4, which I then updated to 10.14.6. The reinstalled OS did not include Security Update 2020-004, and the screensaver now functions normally.

Sep 18, 2020 12:45 AM in response to dialabrain

UPDATE: Since the latest update to Safari 14 there seems to be an improvement, but i am not sure if this is randomly btw placebo-effect ;(wondering about what Safari got to do with the screensaver but as Safari is somehow part of the system software there may be some correlation)

Waiting for the screensaver when activates takes about 15 seconds. But still not ok because during this time the computer cannot be used.. The process stalls everything for at least 15 seconds. Happens when just looking for the screen-saver-settings in preferences and when screensaver is activated scheduled or by hot corners.

Mac Mojave Sys Prefs/Screensaver slows down, locks up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.