Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1ST GEN Apple TV- How to reset without remote

Hey All,

Many thanks for taking the time to help, I think I have a 1st Gen Apple TV (maybe 2nd) when I turn it on it is stuck on the computers and settings screen. When I click the remove the devise lights up like it is receiving the message from the remote however nothing moves on the screen.

I was thinking I could reset it on the iMac but I cannot find a way to do it.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks

Lee

Posted on Jul 16, 2020 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 4:04 AM

About the USB connection for restoring through a computer: Make sure that you use a Micro-USB cable that supports data transfer. Some cables that are bundled with other products or accessories might only support charging those products (and not transmitting data). Or they might work only with the product with which they were sold.

It doesn’t seem your unit need restoring though. It is working fine. Just not connected to the internet, and not linked to a remote. If your Apple TV remote isn’t working - Apple Support (2nd half of the page).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2020 4:04 AM in response to pinkleedy

About the USB connection for restoring through a computer: Make sure that you use a Micro-USB cable that supports data transfer. Some cables that are bundled with other products or accessories might only support charging those products (and not transmitting data). Or they might work only with the product with which they were sold.

It doesn’t seem your unit need restoring though. It is working fine. Just not connected to the internet, and not linked to a remote. If your Apple TV remote isn’t working - Apple Support (2nd half of the page).

Jul 16, 2020 9:36 AM in response to pinkleedy

Welcome to the Apple Community.

If it's black it's an Apple TV 2 or later, the silver/grey one was the first.

The computers and settings app suggests it's a 2 to me and it just those apps showing means it can't connect to the internet.

Your best bet would be to borrow a remote, as it may just need connecting to the network.

Restore the Apple TV (Settings ➔ General ➔ Reset ➔ Restore or...

If your problem persists get yourself a micro USB cable for the Apple TV 2 and 3 models or a USB-C cable for the Apple TV HD (sold separately), you can restore your Apple TV from iTunes:

1. Remove ALL cables from Apple TV. (if you don't you will not see Apple TV in the iTunes Source List)
  2. Connect the micro USB (or USB-C) cable to the Apple TV and then to your computer.
  3. Reconnect the power cable (omit this step for Apple TV 2) 
  4. Open iTunes (MacOS 14 and earlier) or the Finder (MacOS 15 and later)
  5. Select your Apple TV in the Devices list, and then click Restore.

(You may already have a micro USB cable if you have a camera or other digital device)

The device list can be found below the volume slider near the top of the iTunes window. (MacOS 14 and earlier)

The device list can be found in the sidebar of the Finder. (MacOS 15 and later). You’ll need to ensure that the option to display iOS devices is enabled in Finder Preferences ➔ Sidebar.

Jul 16, 2020 9:46 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thank you for your reply!

Yes its black so must be 2nd or 3rd gen. (nothing happens if I do not plug in the power cable)

I have plugged it into the iMac and it does not come up in finder (macOS Catalina 10.15.6 (updated today)) I have checked the side bar and it is checked to show IOS devices.

The AppleTV has a flashing fast when I hit a button on the remote it "stutters" for a moment like it is receiving the message from the remote.

Thanks again for your help.

1ST GEN Apple TV- How to reset without remote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.