Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to download photos now that iPhotos does not work in catalina

I just upgrade to Catalina and iPhoto does not work. As recommended I looked for photos. I do not see that. Where is the photos app and will I be able to use my old

iPhoto library?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 16, 2020 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2020 10:59 AM

The photos app should be in the dock. It is a multicolored flower. If you have your language set to something other than english it might be named your language's equivalent of "Photos".

You can use Photos to transfer the images in your iPhoto Library to Photos.

Launch Photos with the option key held down. From the resulting dialog, choose your iPhoto Library. Photos will create a new library from you iPhoto media. Your iPhoto Library will not be changed.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2020 10:59 AM in response to cglore

The photos app should be in the dock. It is a multicolored flower. If you have your language set to something other than english it might be named your language's equivalent of "Photos".

You can use Photos to transfer the images in your iPhoto Library to Photos.

Launch Photos with the option key held down. From the resulting dialog, choose your iPhoto Library. Photos will create a new library from you iPhoto media. Your iPhoto Library will not be changed.

how to download photos now that iPhotos does not work in catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.