You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SCAM? Class Action Notice: In re Apple Inc. Device Performance Litigation

"If you are or were a U.S. owner of an iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, and/or SE device that ran iOS 10.2.1 or later before December 21, 2017, and/or a U.S. owner of an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus device that ran iOS 11.2 or later before December 21, 2017, you could be entitled to benefits under a class action settlement."

Tipoff to a scam: The web form asked for my device serial # (fine) but then it asked for my Apple ID! As the form says, "Your Apple ID is the account you use to sign in to all Apple services." Needless to say, I did NOT give them my Apple ID, and I see no reason they would need that. Just wanted to let people know about a possible scam.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 10

Posted on Jul 16, 2020 10:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 6:29 PM

This is very real. I entered in my Apple ID and it found a serial for my iPhone 6. Apple probably made a database with all serials from affected iPhones and attached them to Apple IDs. It would be a more likely scam if they asked for a password. There's real court documents attached to this case as well. Submitted mine after receiving the email, and it's legit.

75 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 24, 2020 6:29 PM in response to Timothy Arends1

This is very real. I entered in my Apple ID and it found a serial for my iPhone 6. Apple probably made a database with all serials from affected iPhones and attached them to Apple IDs. It would be a more likely scam if they asked for a password. There's real court documents attached to this case as well. Submitted mine after receiving the email, and it's legit.

Jul 27, 2020 2:05 PM in response to jammin67

It is not a scam. It is a website created by a FEDERAL district court. The federal district court that is adjudicating the class action suit.

Sadly all your effort was for naught and a total waste of time because the system was alerting you to your own use of your Apple ID!

The next time that you see that and before you make such a time consuming blunder, check which devices are signed in to your Apple ID!

Use your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to see where you're signed in

1. Tap Settings > [your name], then scroll down. 
  2. Tap any device name to view that device's information, such as the device model, serial number, OS version, and whether the device is trusted and can be used to receive Apple ID verification codes. The information might vary depending on the device type. You might need to answer your security questions to see device details. 

Use your Mac to see where you're signed in

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. 
  2. Click Apple ID.
  3. Click any device name to view that device's information, such as the device model, serial number, and OS version. The information might vary depending on the device type. You might need to answer your security questions to see device details.

Jul 25, 2020 2:04 PM in response to DisgruntledUser2020

As of today, 07.25.2020, the online form requires both serial # and Apple ID. It will find your iPhone using one or the other (serial or Apple ID), but in the next step when it asks for your name, address, and email, it will require your Apple ID for sure. I've tried twice. You can't perform the final submission without it. The red error message is unambiguous in this regard, and an email reply from the administrator confirms it. I would guess the mail-in form would also require it, but I don't know. I would really like to be wrong about this. Hope it's just a problem with the e-form today.

Jul 27, 2020 4:54 PM in response to Dah•veed

I sent the below, got the usual "receive will respond soon" email return. I will post their response when/if I get it:

I had 4 affected phones on my account. How do I claim them all?

I don’t know that I am excited about giving away my family Apple IDs or my Bank Account & Routing. Seems a law firm would know to state that the protection of one’s Bank Account & Routing, let alone username IDs.

Can you provide me assurances?

Jul 27, 2020 10:37 PM in response to jammin67

jammin67 Said:

"[...]Btw, there were four devices listed. I only own and use two."

-------

Be a Bit More Safe - Modify Credentials:

If nothing is of a duplicate Serial Number, and does not pertain to you, then see if you can remove them. Catch is, you have an annual wait to remove the device from your Apple Account. And modify your credentials, if not duplicates, and neither of the other two items, are your own. Perform the Following:

Jul 16, 2020 12:23 PM in response to Timothy Arends1

That isn't a scam, it's the official website for attaching a claim to the class action that Apple recently settled.

It is the website to which all of the tech articles regarding the settlement are directing the public.

The legal team may consider the need for providing an Apple ID pertinent to weeding out false claims to the class action.

YMMV

ASC - Late 2012 Mac mini, macOS 10.14.6; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 6.2; iPad Air 2, ipadOS 13.5.1; iPhone 8+, iOS 13.5.1; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 13.4.6;  HomePods, audioOS 13.4.6 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Jul 23, 2020 10:05 AM in response to DisgruntledUser2020

WRONG.

The article points out that you need to have the serial number of the phone(s) in question for which you are claiming the money. But when you follow that article's link (to the same website I've already provided) to the website set up by the US District Court for the Northern District of CA (a big hint that it isn't a scam) to establish the "class" in the class action, if you don't know the serial number(s), it requires your Apple ID as an alternative way to possibly get the serial numbers.

Jul 26, 2020 8:37 AM in response to utwya35

up to you but I would not submit my Apple ID. not sure what you folks are finding however I just filed a claim for my husband and I DID NOT NEED my Apple ID, I did need his serial number. if you have your phone it is simple to get the serial number. if not might been your records online or other wise ( I keep everything) . ....Just Say'n. here is the site that took the information and signed my hub's phone up. https://www.smartphoneperformancesettlement.com

SCAM? Class Action Notice: In re Apple Inc. Device Performance Litigation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.