Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back up of and use of SSD

was curious if I can remove the SSD from my late 2011 MacBook Pro, use a connector to make it an external drive and when I buy a new Mac do a full drive data transfer from the old hard drive to the new computer? Is that possible or does the old drive have to be a working computer with time machine to do a drive transfer of all the content to a new mac? I’ve done it before from MacBook Pro to MacBook Pro but I’ve never tried it from an internal hard drive being used an external. I do have an external drive for time machine but it was 3 months since I last backed it up before my 2011 MacBook Pro crapped out.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 16, 2020 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2020 8:42 PM

hopeless romantic wrote:

Thanks leroydouglas that’s what I was looking for. And just to be clear. Once I put that SSD into an external closure and I buy a new Mac I can use that external drive through migration assistant?

Yes.

3 replies

Jul 16, 2020 10:56 AM in response to hopeless romantic

hopeless romantic wrote:

was curious if I can remove the SSD from my late 2011 MacBook Pro, use a connector to make it an external drive and when I buy a new Mac do a full drive data transfer from the old hard drive to the new computer? Is that possible or does the old drive have to be a working computer with time machine to do a drive transfer of all the content to a new mac? I’ve done it before from MacBook Pro to MacBook Pro but I’ve never tried it from an internal hard drive being used an external. I do have an external drive for time machine but it was 3 months since I last backed it up before my 2011 MacBook Pro crapped out.

Yes, if the 2011 SSD is in working order, all you need is an external enclosure to put it into as a backup.

You can see all the references and links in thi s article:

Boot clone https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-10081

Back up of and use of SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.