Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring data from external HD to SSD

In my late 2014 Mac Mini I replaced my HD with an SSD. The external drive used as a Time Machine failed. I am trying to use my original HD as a drive to start the Mac Mini, then use Migration Assistant to transfer data. However, I do not know how to start up the Mac Mini so it recognizes the old HD first.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 6:39 PM

You can connect the original HDD via USB (SATA - USB adapter) first.

At boot, by holding "option key" (Mac keyboard) or "alt key" (PC keyboard) - then the Mac Mini will give you the option of which boot device to be utilized.

3 replies

Aug 15, 2020 7:15 PM in response to samtenor

Yes - your response was helpful. I now have my original HD booting up the mini. Both the old mini HD and the new mini SSD show on the desktop. However, Migration Assistant isn't working yet.

I have two choices. "From a Mac, Time Machine, or startup disk", or "To another Mac". Neither choice works. The wheel just spins on the first choice as it says "Looking for source"/"Looking for other sources", the second choice says to make sure the other Mac also has its Migration Assistant on. But, the 'other Mac' is the blank internal SSD.

What do I do?

Transferring data from external HD to SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.