Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse 2 on iPad Pro 2020 running on iOS 13.6

While using MM 2, it becomes unresponsive and starts working after using the click. And sometimes the cursor lags too.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Jul 16, 2020 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 11:11 AM

Actually, siddharth150

I was thinking a little more about the Magic Mouse (MM2) "sleeping" (to conserve battery power): Since it is an optical mouse one of the principle power drains is the infrared LED (light emitting diode) of the optical mechanism.

So, in "sleep" mode, the MM2 would turn off the LED, which would make it "blind" to any motion!

Therefore, only clicking is available as a "wakeup" option!

(One could design a version with an accelerometer, for which "shaking" could be used as a "wakeup" call, but that doesn't seem to be a part of the MM2.)

So. Yes. Complaining about having to use "clicks" to "wakeup" a MM2 would be a "waste of time", except, possibly, to help inspire Apple to create a new version with a "shaking" "wakeup" option.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2020 11:11 AM in response to siddharth150

Actually, siddharth150

I was thinking a little more about the Magic Mouse (MM2) "sleeping" (to conserve battery power): Since it is an optical mouse one of the principle power drains is the infrared LED (light emitting diode) of the optical mechanism.

So, in "sleep" mode, the MM2 would turn off the LED, which would make it "blind" to any motion!

Therefore, only clicking is available as a "wakeup" option!

(One could design a version with an accelerometer, for which "shaking" could be used as a "wakeup" call, but that doesn't seem to be a part of the MM2.)

So. Yes. Complaining about having to use "clicks" to "wakeup" a MM2 would be a "waste of time", except, possibly, to help inspire Apple to create a new version with a "shaking" "wakeup" option.

Jul 16, 2020 12:36 PM in response to siddharth150

siddharth150:

Are you saying that your Magic Mouse 2 (MM2) becomes unresponsive, at times, but starts working after you click it?

You also find that the MM2 cursor. sometimes lags, as you move the mouse. Right?

I have an older iPad Pro. (2nd generation), that I just finished updating to iPadOS 13.6, that I've just Paired with my MM2, but I can't seem to see the behavior you've mentioned.

Of course, if those behaviors are intermittent (only happen "now and then", seemingly at random), then I simply may have not notice such behaviors, yet!

Incidentally, I do notice that under the Info, for the MM2 Bluetooth connection, there is the following warning:

"Using this accessory may affect Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity."

In fact, I see a similar warning (with a warning triangle! ⚠️ [except in grey]) just above the "MY DEVICES" list, under Bluetooth!

So. This may suggest that heavy use of WiFi and/or Bluetooth (with other devices) could, likewise, interfere with the use of this accessory.

As for the "becomes unresponsive" part, it seems reasonable that, being a battery operated device, the MM2 may "go to sleep" if it hasn't been used, recently, and may need to be "awakened".

(Unlike the Mac, I don't see anywhere that indicates the charge on the MM2, and other such Bluetooth connected devices.)

Magic Mouse 2 on iPad Pro 2020 running on iOS 13.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.