Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Backup Issues

My iPhone se won’t back up claiming I don’t have enough storage.  

• I have 5GB free in iCloud. 
  • I have no photos or videos in the cloud. 
  • I’ve deleted existing backups from the cloud.
  • I’ve switched off almost everything including All kinds of media and WhatsApp from backup, so my next backup is estimated at 190MB ONLY. 

This sounds like simple math - 5 GB free, 190MB needed. 

Why wouldn’t it let me backup?

iPhone SE

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 1:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 4:11 AM

How much storage is used on your phone in total? Some more info on what is backed up with an iCloud phone backup here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207428

6 replies

Jul 17, 2020 7:38 AM in response to medal_m

How can you turn off things from backing up? When you turn off photos, contacts etc. from syncing to iCloud, then they will be part of the backup. If these are already synced with iCloud, they will not be part of the backup:

The Music is downloaded to your phone? In general I would not expect to be able to backup a phone that's using 94GB of storage to a 5GB iCloud account as just the phone data and Apps themselves will exceed that limit in no time.

Jul 17, 2020 7:47 AM in response to apfelkopf

Photos are “off” in iCloud settings, and Also under “manage storage” -> “backups” -> “my iPhone” -> “photo library”, “photo library” is set to off. As I understand it, I have completely disabled any photos or videos to iCloud.

I think the snapshots speak for themselves: I have managed to free up all of my iCloud space AND my backup is less than 200 MB.

iCloud Backup Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.