Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing contacts or calendar with specific people on family sharing

We have 4 members in our family account and we need to share business related contacts and calendar events between two of the members. But the 2 other members don’t need or want that stuff on their phone.

Is it possible to choose who’s data is linked in family sharing and can you share contacts and calendar?

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 3:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 3:28 PM

I spent too much of my time today trying to figure this out, and I think I found a good solution which I will just write here in case others have a similar question in the future.

If you want to share a calendar, the best way to do so is to add people to your existing calendars, which enables them to view (sync onto their phone) and edit the calendar. To do this just open the calendar app and press the button at the bottom middle (calendars), once you see all your calendars just choose the one you want and press the “i” symbol next to it, from there you can easily add a person.

The best solution for the contacts (without having to buy iCloud family storage) is to set up a separate (free) iCloud account and adding said account on all phones you want to sync contacts with (add this account in “password & accounts” but still keep your main private iCloud account on your phone). This way you can use all the features of a family account while being able to share contacts over several different devices with different Apple IDs. (Important: you have to turn off contact sync in your main iCloud account and only have it activated on the sharing account)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2020 3:28 PM in response to zinacef

I spent too much of my time today trying to figure this out, and I think I found a good solution which I will just write here in case others have a similar question in the future.

If you want to share a calendar, the best way to do so is to add people to your existing calendars, which enables them to view (sync onto their phone) and edit the calendar. To do this just open the calendar app and press the button at the bottom middle (calendars), once you see all your calendars just choose the one you want and press the “i” symbol next to it, from there you can easily add a person.

The best solution for the contacts (without having to buy iCloud family storage) is to set up a separate (free) iCloud account and adding said account on all phones you want to sync contacts with (add this account in “password & accounts” but still keep your main private iCloud account on your phone). This way you can use all the features of a family account while being able to share contacts over several different devices with different Apple IDs. (Important: you have to turn off contact sync in your main iCloud account and only have it activated on the sharing account)

Sharing contacts or calendar with specific people on family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.