Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac is signed in to a different Apple ID than my iPhone. How can I use iCloud for Photos?

My iMac is signed in to a different Apple ID than my iPhone. How can I use iCloud for Photos?

Mac Pro, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply
5 replies

Jul 17, 2020 5:20 PM in response to wyeth209

Because my iMAC is signed in with my Primary Apple ID and my devices are signed in with a different Apple ID (a legacy one from iTunes) it seems that iCloud sharing cannot be used to transfer Photos from my iPhone to my iMac. With iCloud enabled everywhere, all the i devices are sharing photos fine, but none are seeing my iMac.

Is there a way to work around this?

Jul 18, 2020 9:08 AM in response to tygb

tygb, I was hopeful when I started to read your links, but they are not solving my problem. Albums can only be shared from the System Photo Library. My Photos has sharing enabled, but there are only 49 photos in it. When I look at iCloud, those photos are there. On my phone, I have over 1000 photos. None of them are in the cloud, even with iCloud enabled, because my iPhone is signed in with my other Apple ID.

Therefore I can't share in the iPhone to iMac direction through iCloud, only the reverse.

If I change my Primary Apple ID on my iMac, it seems that I risk all my Mail, Contacts, Calendars, etc. That would be an even bigger headache.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.