Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use my iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) as external display for my Macbook Pro (16-inch, 2019)?

Can I use my iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) as external display for my Macbook Pro (16-inch, 2019)? I have the male Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to female Thunderbolt 2 adapter . If I get a Thunderbolt or a Thunderbolt 2 cable, will it work? Or do I have to get a female Thunderbolt/Thunderbolt 2 to male Thunderbolt 3 adapter?

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 4:49 PM

I used a 32GB USB stick to create a bootable installer for High Sierra, and installed it into the APFS volume I had created earlier. And by using the setup described by woodmeister50 2013 iMac->Thunderbolt 1/2 cable->Thunderbolt3-to-Thunderbolt Adapter->MBP, I was able to use Target Display Mode on my 2013 iMac. Yay!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2020 4:49 PM in response to BDAqua

I used a 32GB USB stick to create a bootable installer for High Sierra, and installed it into the APFS volume I had created earlier. And by using the setup described by woodmeister50 2013 iMac->Thunderbolt 1/2 cable->Thunderbolt3-to-Thunderbolt Adapter->MBP, I was able to use Target Display Mode on my 2013 iMac. Yay!

Can I use my iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) as external display for my Macbook Pro (16-inch, 2019)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.