Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using 2017 iMac as external display for pc laptop

I would like to use my personal iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017, running Catalina OS) as an external display for my new office-issued Dell pc laptop. Both the iMac and the laptop have Thunderbolt ports; is there a way to do this?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 5:13 PM

You can connect ONLY any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display. Learn how to identify your iMac model.

Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2020 5:13 PM in response to Wheels11a

You can connect ONLY any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display. Learn how to identify your iMac model.

Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later.

using 2017 iMac as external display for pc laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.