Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security Update 2020-004 keeps on reinstalling

Security Update 2020-004 keeps on reinstalling on my mac mini.

I have tried to restore my Mac mini, but Command-R doesn't work. OsX is installed on internal SSD. It's my only computer so FileVault is turned on and this check passes as well.

I have tried turning off autoinstall security updates and it still keeps reinstalling....

Can someone please help?

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 9:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 2:06 PM

I'd hold off on installing Security Update 2020-004 if I were you.

My iMac (High Sierra 10.13.4) mid-2011's display goes blank randomly since attempting to install the Security Update 2020-004 (attempting because it won't complete the install). It's only the display because I can screen share with the iMac from a MacBook and FaceTime video with a friend still has audio after a screen outage. If I put the iMac to sleep (with the <Command><Option><eject> keys) and wake it up after a few minutes the display comes back on for a little while, but goes blank again after a random number of seconds.

While trying to install the Security Update 2020-004 the installer gave me the message "macOS could not be installed on your computer. invalid request. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again." Restarting and trying again always give the same error message.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2020 2:06 PM in response to Community User

I'd hold off on installing Security Update 2020-004 if I were you.

My iMac (High Sierra 10.13.4) mid-2011's display goes blank randomly since attempting to install the Security Update 2020-004 (attempting because it won't complete the install). It's only the display because I can screen share with the iMac from a MacBook and FaceTime video with a friend still has audio after a screen outage. If I put the iMac to sleep (with the <Command><Option><eject> keys) and wake it up after a few minutes the display comes back on for a little while, but goes blank again after a random number of seconds.

While trying to install the Security Update 2020-004 the installer gave me the message "macOS could not be installed on your computer. invalid request. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again." Restarting and trying again always give the same error message.

Jul 23, 2020 3:37 AM in response to Community User

It is perfectly normal for the sharing and permissions to have wheel.

This is a screenshot of the info panel of my Mojave HD.

If your HD is now split into Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD Data that is indicative of it being upgraded to Catalina.

Are you sure your mac has not upgraded to Catalina/ and or been upgraded and then downgraded by advice from Apple Support.

When downloading and installing any software updates from Apple it is always best to have your mac connected via cable

rather than rely on WiFi.

I only ever let System Preferences> Software Update to inform me of updates, I never let it download and install system and security updates. Smaller updates like Safari are okay using this method.

When informed of available system and security updates I always wait about two to three days and check on the

Apple - Support - Downloads page and download the relevant update from there. The update gets downloaded to your Downloads folder, once it has downloaded double-click on it to start the installation, it is much more reliable.

Security Update 2020-004 Mojave is definitely for macOS Mojave.

Jul 23, 2020 3:17 AM in response to Ken Shimabukuro

Thank you, Ken.

I have engaged Apple Support to resolve the issue. However, my Mac now has two hard drives ('Macintosh HD' and 'Macintosh HD - Data') and they have advised me to untick all check boxes under Software Updates under System Preferences (since the Security Update 2020-004 still wants to install) - even after going through a couple of 'restores' of the system.

I only purchased this Mac 18 months ago and already it is 'out of touch' with Apple. I've been buying Mac's for 13 years, but this will be my last.

I live with a significantly impairing disability and am unable to work, so I cannot afford to buy new software, etc, because the OS company releases an OS that no longer supports 32 bit apps. Hence, I cannot upgrade to Catalina, but have to stay on Mojave.

I no longer trust this Mac mini. Instead of the user accounts 'System', 'Admin' and 'Everyone', my Macintosh HD has the users 'system', 'wheel' and 'everyone'. Apple Support are looking into this. I no nothing of an account named 'wheel' as this is my only computer and has never had a user or other account named 'wheel'.

Severely let down and frustrated is how I feel about this whole update issue. If it's not meant for your OS version, then why does it show on your OS version as a required update??? (rhetorical question as only someone at Apple can answer that).

Thank you anyway for your reply. All the best to you.

Mark.

Security Update 2020-004 keeps on reinstalling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.