Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovies Files in iCloud - How to access?

iCloud storage is reporting that I have 3.4GB of iMovies files taking up space in iCloud. I have the option to delete the files "from iMovie's icloud Drive folder in Finder", but I cannot find this.

My local iMovie and iTheater folders are 206KB and 2KB.

My iCloud Drive in Finder is empty.

Where do I need to look to view these files?

iMac Pro

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 2:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 6:45 AM

The Theater movies wouldn't be in the Cloud unless you sent them there. See this link:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209113

Possibly you sent them to the cloud as you completed each movie. Do you recall doing that?

You should be able to access iCloud drive from Go/Home/iCloud Drive archives. Check also iCloud drive from the Finder menu that appears when you click on the Finder icon in your Dock (the square that has a blue and white face).

On my Mac the Window>Go to Theater option used to be there but no longer is. So I assume that it is no longer available.

However, you can find your Theater files in the Theater folder. Look in your Movies folder. Unless you deleted it or moved it to a backup drive you should have an iMovie Theater.Theater folder there. It won't open by double clicking on it. However, control-click on it and click on Show Package Contents from the dropdown menu. You will see folders titled Archives. Open those folders and your movies will be in there. You can share them out or copy or move them to your desktop by dragging. From there you can send them to the Cloud if you use iCloud Photos. Or you can keep them in a Finder folder or import them into the Photos app.

-- Rich

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2020 6:45 AM in response to SlipDragon

The Theater movies wouldn't be in the Cloud unless you sent them there. See this link:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209113

Possibly you sent them to the cloud as you completed each movie. Do you recall doing that?

You should be able to access iCloud drive from Go/Home/iCloud Drive archives. Check also iCloud drive from the Finder menu that appears when you click on the Finder icon in your Dock (the square that has a blue and white face).

On my Mac the Window>Go to Theater option used to be there but no longer is. So I assume that it is no longer available.

However, you can find your Theater files in the Theater folder. Look in your Movies folder. Unless you deleted it or moved it to a backup drive you should have an iMovie Theater.Theater folder there. It won't open by double clicking on it. However, control-click on it and click on Show Package Contents from the dropdown menu. You will see folders titled Archives. Open those folders and your movies will be in there. You can share them out or copy or move them to your desktop by dragging. From there you can send them to the Cloud if you use iCloud Photos. Or you can keep them in a Finder folder or import them into the Photos app.

-- Rich

Jul 19, 2020 4:09 AM in response to SlipDragon

There is a good chance that these are Theatre files, from the service that was discontinued - but I'd like to check them before deleting.

Apple support pages quote, "

1. In iMovie, navigate to the Projects view.
  2. Tap Theater at the top of the screen. If you don't see Theater at the top of the screen, tap the More button , then tap View iMovie Theater."

...but I do not have a ... button

Jul 20, 2020 10:43 AM in response to SlipDragon

You might try calling Apple Support to talk to the savvy techs there. They have the capability of remotely accessing your computer. To get there, click on the Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum's screen and navigate to a place where you can input your phone number.

If you have time, post back with your results as it might help others who have a similar problem.

-- Rich

iMovies Files in iCloud - How to access?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.