Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV A1469. Subtitles not supported in the settings but are supported in the movie.

I'm using Apple TV A1469. Bought a movie @ iTunes with subtitles which are not supported in Settings of Apple TV. How to enable them?

I can see them when watching on iPad. I used to solve this by streaming from iPad to Apple TV, but today it stopped working this way in the middle of the movie. Now I can only see english subtitles on Apple TV.

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 6:35 AM

To activate or change subtitles when viewing content directly from the Apple TV box, hold down Select on your remote for three seconds while a video is playing to see the Subtitles tab. Then select the wanted subtitle.

4 replies

Jul 20, 2020 6:20 AM in response to MarkoL1

Suppose the issue is that the foreign language content only plays in English? Is there a way to change that, too? Also, I tried holding the Select button down and nothing happened, no menus popped up anywhere. Is it because I have first generation Apple tv? This only just started happening, though. A few weeks ago all my content played in the original language.

Jul 20, 2020 6:28 AM in response to Allisunni

Allisunni wrote:

Suppose the issue is that the foreign language content only plays in English? Is there a way to change that, too? Also, I tried holding the Select button down and nothing happened, no menus popped up anywhere. Is it because I have first generation Apple tv? This only just started happening, though. A few weeks ago all my content played in the original language.

The first generation Apple TV is a white and silver slab, that doesn't even support access to the iTunes store anymore. Its very unlikely you have that model of Apple TV.

If you have small black box, you have either 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th generation Apple TV.

You should be able to change subtitles on a second or third generation Apple TV by holding down the select button. On a 4th and 5th generation Apple TV, while watching a movie swipe down on the track pad of the Apple or Siri Remote.

Apple TV A1469. Subtitles not supported in the settings but are supported in the movie.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.