Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Photos When Importing to Mac Photos

I have around 8,800 photos on my iPhone, and I have iCloud Photos turned off. I had imported the photos from my phone connected via USB cable to my Mac. I had it run overnight because of the volume of photos and when checking this morning it was done. There were about 8,400 photos in the album I had set it up to import into. This means I am missing about 400 photos, but when I look in the album the most recent photos and oldest photos from my phone are there, so somewhere in the middle photos are lost. I'm not sure what to do in terms of trying to get the missing photos from my phone or at least figuring out which ones aren't on my Mac unless I sit and comb through all the photos. Please help!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 8:30 AM

Try to import again from the iPhone. You should be seeing a separation into "New Photos" and "Already Imported" when you try to import. Are there any new photos listed?

Is photos showing any items as "unable to import"?

Which system version is running on the iPhone and which system version is installed on the Mac?

And how did the photos get onto the iPhone? Have all photos been taken with the iPhone, or do you have photos on the iPhone, that have been synced to the iPhone from a computer? You cannot import photos from the iPhone that have been synced to the iPhone from a computer, because these photos are not saved in the Camera Roll.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2020 8:30 AM in response to isaleth

Try to import again from the iPhone. You should be seeing a separation into "New Photos" and "Already Imported" when you try to import. Are there any new photos listed?

Is photos showing any items as "unable to import"?

Which system version is running on the iPhone and which system version is installed on the Mac?

And how did the photos get onto the iPhone? Have all photos been taken with the iPhone, or do you have photos on the iPhone, that have been synced to the iPhone from a computer? You cannot import photos from the iPhone that have been synced to the iPhone from a computer, because these photos are not saved in the Camera Roll.

Jul 18, 2020 8:57 AM in response to léonie

There are 1,300 items under "New Items". I was able to successfully import all of them. Is there a way to delete any duplicates? If I had only 400 missing, I should technically have over 900 duplicates. If not, I can live with it, I just wanted to have my photos. Thank you for that advice and in advance! :)

Missing Photos When Importing to Mac Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.